NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:55 pm 

I've build a small NAS box using a Duron 1.6GHz and a 200GB Seagate ST3200822A. I've even manged to get it to boot from a USB key.
But...when I turn the machine on it boots fine with no drive error messages and then within a minute starts a S.M.A.R.T. self test on the drive, which takes 20-30 minutes.

During this time the drive is available and you can copy big files to it, but the read performance is awful and AVI files played from the system stop and start repeatedly. There are no network errors.
Once the self test is over the system performs flawlessly.

Is it normal to have to wait 30 minutes to get proper access to the system after you've shut it down and brought it back online?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

The behavior you are describing is normal, however, the poor performance is not. I have not had a problem with the self-test causing such a drop in transfer speed, but I think you are the second person reporting the issue.

If NASLite is a launch-and-forget server, then the automatic SMART self-test makes sense, however, it sounds like people shut their system down often, making the boot-time events a common occurrence. In that case I think it may be a good idea to make the SMART self-test a manual admin option rather than an automatic event.

We’ll have to consider this for next release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:43 pm 

Thanks for the very prompt reply.

Interestingly another old drive on the same system works flawlessly from the startup, so it's definately the SMART test.

it's not entirely fair to say that the read perfomance is bad, if you pick up a 700MB file and pull it to another machine performance is great, using 85% of Network bandwidth. The problem comes when you try to play a video where its getting sequential chunks. The small amounts of data required to feed the video seem to annoy the hell out of the SMART test.

It isn't my intention to keep knocking in on and off, I'm just in a testing phase, which is why the issue became apparent. In all other respects NASLITE+ works brilliantly.