NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:35 am 

Thank you, Tony. You were absolutely right! The disk scan took 1 hour 50 mins to complete, but after that the disk was silent and all was well. I think what threw me was the fact that the HDD LED was not lit and I was able to read and write the disk during this period. Anyway, overnight I have copied over all the files and the performance is terrific.

Thanks again for the great support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
NASLite+ v1.1 is now available.

NASLite v1.1 corrects a minor bug in the Administration Utility. The NASLite+ v1.0 Administration Utility would fail to configure a fixed disk that holds no partition information. Fixed disks holding at least one partition would configure properly.

That behavior is now corrected.

Thanks again to Hankster and gmiller for catching this :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:23 pm 

Hi Tony and thanks for your hard work with this issue...

I see that NASLite 1+ V1.1 is now avail... but, How would I, as a registered owner, go about downloading the new version in order to
test with my hardware?

Thanks

-Hankster-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Good to hear from you again Hankster ;-)

Use your original download link to get the latest release of the product you purchased. The link is good for 6 months from time of purchase. Let me know if you have any problems.

Post subject: Cant configure drives?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:10 pm 

Ok, I am not sure if you have tried this. I have seen many complaints that people can't configure their drives with naslite. I have built over 20 of these and the only thing that I have found is that you have to set in cmos that the Hard drives are not installed. If set for user define or auto the drives won't initialize properly in naslite. Let me know if this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have seen many complaints that people can't configure their drives with naslite.

Can you please elaborate on the above statement? If there is in fact a problem where NASLite fails to configure the Drives, then that should be identified and corrected.

The problem that Hankster is describing is very specific and was in fact a bug that was corrected in the NASLite+ v1.1 release. Please refer to the earlier posts in this topic.

The BIOS issue that you are referring to is a fundamental hardware configuration item and has nothing to do with NASLite. On many older systems, if the BIOS fails to identify the drive geometry, the system may halt before NASLite boots.

However, once NASlite boots, the BIOS settings with respect to the attached HDs have no effect on how NASLite detects the attached drives.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:29 pm 

Tony,

Downloaded and setup v1.1, on the very same machines as before, and the drives setup perfectly. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

I do have one additional aside however,

I have this NASLite+ box at home and I connect to my office via IPSEC tunnel. From work, The NASLite+ box doesn't respond (but if I term serv into a machine at home I can access it just fine)

I did notice there was no setting for default gateway on the NASLite+ box and this may be why requests from work are not being routed back to the requestor.... (the default gateway is also the IPSEC tunnel end point in my case)

Any chance of this being added to the next round of upgrades? (Don't think there is much to this.... perhaps an ifconfig addition?)

Thanks again,

Hankster