NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:43 pm 

I'm planning to get NASLite+ within the next couple of weeks, and have a question about using it in a following environment:

1) Work notebook that is a member of work domain
2) Home desktop that is a member of a home workgroup
3) Home notebook that is a memeber of a home workgroup

Do you seen any connectivity/mounting issues with NASLite+ in such an environment?

The reason I'm asking is because I have no problem mapping the C drive of (1) onto (2), but not the other way around. I'm not running any software firewalls, just have a router that all the machines are going through. Remote desktop from (1) to (2), and from (2) to (1) works without any problems, and I of course can ping the machines both ways. They all use 192.168.1.x addresses.

Thanks,

-- Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:15 pm 

You should have no problems with your 2 home computers mapping NASLite drives.

Computers in a domain have different security setups than computers in a workgroup. You may have something set on your work computer that prevents connecting to computers in your home workgroup, but allows them to connect to you. If this is the case, mapping to NASLite drives may not work either.

You _may_ be able to map to NASLite using Add a Network Place and using the IP address of the NASLite box in the wizard. Try to map your home desktop drive C using this method. Share the desktop drive C and name the share DriveC. (Original isn't it!)

On your work laptop, in the Add a Network Place wizard, select choose another network location, and when it asks for Internet or network address, put in

\\192.168.1.x\DriveC

change the x for whatever number your desktop is using. If that works, then you should be able to do the same thing with NASLite drives on your work laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:20 pm 

smeyer,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot test this right now since I'm away from home (thus getting NASLite+ in a couple of weeks). I will definitely try this, and see if that works.

What I didn't do before is sharing the drive. It worked without sharing for me to go from home desktop (workgroup) to work notebook (domain) by just supplying username/password when trying to map the drive using \\IPAddress\DriveLetter.

So, it's my understanding now that NASLite+ drives behave as shared drives on remote machines on Windows networks, is that right? Sorry, I'm not an expert in networking.

Thanks,

-- Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:07 pm 

Basically correct on your question/answer. There is no username/password required to map a NASLite drive. You just map the drives either by searching for workgroup computers or by using your \\ip\drive_name method.

In NASLite the drives are named Disk-1, Disk-2, etc so you would have \\192.168.1.1\Disk-1 for example.

I can see how not sharing a workgroup drive would fail. With your domain computer you need user/password to allow someone in and then they can get at pretty much anything. With workgroups you have to specifically indicate what you want to share on each computer. NASLite shares all it's disk drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:45 pm 

Thanks for your reply. It now makes sense to me.

-- Alex