NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:28 pm 

Just trying to get NasLite+ installed for the first time on my old Dell Dimension 4100 box (Pentium III 1Ghz processor, 384 MB SDRAM, 40 GB ATA hard drive). I have changed the BIOS settings to boot from the DVD drive first and set my IDE drives to "none" (I couldn't find the recommended "not installed" setting referenced in the manual), but the machine will not boot from the CD. It says "invalid boot diskette. Insert BOOT diskette in A:" which is the floppy drive. I have both a DVD and CD-ROM in the machine, and have placed the CD image of NasLite+ in both drives, in case it's trying to boot from the lower drive. The DVD and CD drives are the primary and secondary boot drives, respectively. Any advice for this very new user? David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:16 pm 

Not installed or None, same difference. You're good there.

As far as it not booting, how did you make the disk? If you just took the ISO image file and burned it to the CDROM then it won't be bootable. IE, if you open up the CDROM and look at it and it says something like SEI-NL2-USB.iso then all you have done is copy the image file to the CDROM and the computers bios don't know what to do with that.

The ISO is a kind of snapshot of the exact layout of the filesystem on the CDROM and allows a program like Nero or Toast to recreate the exact same thing on the new CDROM. If you are using Nero then look for something called burn ISO image. Should take just a few clicks of the button and you should be off and running.

Then just insert the CDROM into a box with a floppy drive and follow the directions to make the boot disk. NL+ runs from a floppy. It will not normaly boot from a CDROM though I did get it to with a bit of work. You are using a NL+ and not NL2.x, right?

Hope this helps,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:05 pm 

mikeiver1 is close. NASLite 1.x comes in the free floppy version, and NASLite+ comes on a CD or USB boot version. There is also a Floppy disk creator CD, which creates the free floppy version. I think that's what he is refering to when he tells you to make a floppy boot disk.

If you bought NASLite+ CD version then you should burn the ISO image to a CD as mikeiver1 describes and it should boot from the CD.

Can you boot from a Windows Install CD or a Linux install CD on this computer? This would confirm that the computer is capable of booting from CD. Also does the DVD activity light come on during booting? This would indicate its trying to read the CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:10 am 

Total brain fart on my part. I have the 1.0 server suite. DUHHHHHH!

Been so long since I have got out the disk and used it. I used it to build the CDROM from the ISO and then it went in the CD case. The machine never crashed or failed.

Now I remember what I did. I didn't like the storage of the config files on the floppy so I converted the USB version over to a CDROM boot with storage to a USB key instead. Been a while.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:51 am 

Thanks you both for your help. I burned the image of the ISO file again just to be sure I was doing it correctly, and after a couple of boot attempts, I got NasLite to boot. Now, however, I am stuck because after saving settings and rebooting it is not accepting my password, which I'm not sure it saved, or the regualr "nas" password. I'll search the forums to figure out the password thing, unless someone has the easy answer? Many thanks, David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:57 pm 

Make sure you don't have Numlock or CapLock on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:10 am 

It is best not to change the password at the start, just focus on getting the box up and configured to work on your LAN. Then after all is well and you have saved and rebooted to check that all the settings have been saved and the box works well go in an change and save the password. It will take a reboot to get the new password to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:11 am 

It is best not to change the password at the start, just focus on getting the box up and configured to work on your LAN. Then after all is well and you have saved and rebooted to check that all the settings have been saved and the box works well, this includes the unlock key, go in and change and save the password. It will take a reboot to get the new password to work.

Mike