NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changing IP Address...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:51 pm 

I am planning to take my NASLite+ (USB Version) box to my next trip, where I will be connecting it to many different networks. Everytime I connect it to a new network, I will need to perform following tasks :

1. Find out the workgroup name from current network.
2. Find out a available IP address from current network, which will have same subnet.
3. Connect a monitor, keyboard to the NASLite box.
4. Update configuration with workgroup and IP information collected in Step#1 and Step#2 (considering I have already used a very unique server name for my NASLite box).

I am okie to perform step#1 and step#2, which I can do from other existing machine connected to the network. But for performing step#3 and step#4, I would need to carry a monitor and a keyboard for my NASLite box, which I want to avoid. Is there anyway I can update these two information (current workgroup name and one available IP for current network) in the USB drive, plugging it another existing machine on the network?

I know you are thinking why don't I plug monitor and keyboard from existing machine to NASLite box to update these two information. Well I can. But many locations, where I will use my NASList during the trip, will have only laptop connected to current network. That is why I am looking for this solution, which will help me to avoid carrying my big CRT monitor and keyboard around. I would appreciate your suggestion. Thanks a bunch in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:43 am 

psomnath wrote:
I know you are thinking why don't I plug monitor and keyboard from existing machine to NASLite box to update these two information. Well I can. But many locations, where I will use my NASList during the trip, will have only laptop connected to current network.

Are you saying that some locations ONLY have laptops? In any case I would just set your laptop to a static ip/subnet that matches the NAS box, make the change on it and put your laptop back on DHCP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:08 pm 

Thanks Harvin for your response and sorry for my long confusing text. Here is what I am trying to do

1. Find out current workgroup name
2. Find out available IP on the same subnet
3. Plug my NASLite USB drive to another computer to update the configuration with these two piece of information
4. Plug back my NASLite USB drive to NASLite box
5. Turn it ON

If I can perform these steps (especially step#3), I will be able to connect my NASLite box in different networks.

I wont have the fliexibility to change anything on existing computers on the network. That's why changing static ip/subnet of laptop maching my NAS box is not an option for me. I hope I could explain my little constrained situation. I would appreciate further comments. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:35 pm 

How about carrying two USB keys with NASLite+ USB on each of them? Have one with a default known configuration, and the second will be for modifying. Boot from the known USB key, insert the second key, make your changes, save the config to the second key and reboot.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:29 pm 

If you are allowed to temporarily reboot one of the on-site computers using a USB key with NASLite+ installed, then jfrantz plan should work. You wouldn't be changing anything on the computer, only using it to change the contents of a USB key.

You would do your step 1 & 2. For step 3, reboot one of the computers and set the BIOS to boot from USB first.
4. Boot to NASLite+ using default settings. Change USB keys, enter and save config info.
5. Reboot and change BIOS back to what it was.
6. Boot computer back up to whatever it was running before
7. Boot NASLite box with modified USB key.

If you aren't allowed to reboot an on site computer you will need to carry a keyboard/monitor. Might look into buying a small, cheap LCD display vs a big CRT.