NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recover Data?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:16 pm 
Installed a new hd today and never put much thought in to the configure section i knew it was a master and configured it. well i configured the wrong drive and have lost 80gb of data. anyway to recover this?

eden

Post subject: Recover Data
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:54 pm 

Try R-Linux from http://www.data-recovery-software.net/L ... very.shtml.
It is free and it has worked for me in the past

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:58 pm 
Thanks,

But have been messing with that program for hours and all it recovers is lost and found folder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:29 am 
Come on someone must have some ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:44 am 

eden,

Can't offer any help mate but wondered if you'd had any luck getting your data back? Or have you had to put it down to experience :wink:

wilbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:23 pm 
Well Wilbur,

I have tried various programs that kinda promised to able to recover data from a formatted drive, But none was any good. I accept i made a silly mistake one that wont EVER happen again, all my drives are in caddies next time i will remove the drives and that way i cant screw up! sods law i will pick up the wrong one..

Thankfully I did have various back ups and took me hours to restore,
I am one to go on about backups, But in my defense the 200gb i was putting in was for backups,

I used to work for a smal IT company in London and was always dealing with clients computers and I never lost anyones data. and in all my years of computer use from the Amiga to current i have never scrwed up like this. I learnt a lesson Never be to sure about what u are about to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:08 pm 

edeng,

There is an old carpenters phrase "measure it twice cut it once" could sort of be applied to lots of pc stuff :shock:

I have backups of as much of my stuff as I can, our digital photo's are the real lie awake at night worries for me, I have them backed up twice on seperate machines and also backed up to dvd each month which I store at a friends house so it's not on the premises.

But the law of sod will say the day something fails the thing I want that is no longer available and nobody has a copy of will not be backed up. I'm about to leave the office for home, think I'll spend the evening backing up my pc's, you can't be too sure.

I do hope Vers 2 has a default gateway facility ideally I want two NASbox's one at the office and one at home then cross back up to each one. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:27 pm 
Wilbur,

Whilst recovering my data I had all my CD's and DVD's out, I loaded a lot of CD's I created 5 years ago and most had CRC errors and would not work on any machine, these only being used once. So much for all the promises made all those years ago about being virtually indestuctable.

Oh yes, yesterday one of my 40GB drives died in my main pc, lucky I had just moved the data to the NAS.

Id like a feature in Naslite v2 to be able to copy one disk to another.
would be a ideal back up feature of a drive.

Out of all the stuff I lost in my 80GB screw-up I can only think of one music track I can't find. so i guess I kept good back ups.

The best way to back-up data now is to another HD as most people have large drives and these are nealry full and trying to back up to DVD would take more then a handful of DVDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:56 pm 

edeng,

As I said in my previous post I have spent this evening backing up my PC's. Our digital photo collection alone needs two 4.7gb dvd's and my mp3 collection is now up to disk 31 and thats 31 dvd's not CD's 8) I don't know why I have that many either it's something like 3 months of solid music but honestly I do have a life :roll:

My backup strategy is; everything on the NASlite, everything on an external HDD on my home office PC and then the stuff that can't be replaced like photos and home movies backed up a 3rd time onto DVD and I store them at a friends house. Paranoid is a tad strong, I prefer careful :wink:

Yes it would be great to be able to copy disk to disk within NASlite, especially if Tony can put IDE adapter card support in so we can have more than 4 disks.

If anyone thinks backing up is not worth the effort edeng's week should stand as a warning :wink: don't think "it won't happen to me" cos it will right at the point when you least expect it maybe the day you transfer your once in a lifetime holiday photo's :shock: If your reading these posts chances are you've got NASlite or your thinking of gettiing it so there's at least 1 place you could backup to from your other pc's, sorry to lecture but just think for a moment what you have stored on your pc now think about it not been there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:14 pm 
I regard photos as really important, these hold memories of past things we have done and if they get lost then thats it! you cant replace them.
its a good idea to keep your backups at another location.

When ever I used to go away i'd pull the drives from my pc's and keep them elsewhere incase my home was broken in to while away.

Support for a IDE card would be great, I'd like to run more disks,

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:17 am 

Hello,

Try EASEUS DataRecoveryWizard to recover data. It posses some highly
effective recover methods and advanced algorithms. It supports many
OS types, file systems and HDD configurations. It is your best chance
to recover, so head on to http://www.easeus.com now.
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:44 am 

Sorry to hear about the mishap eden, loosing your data is like your dog just died...

But as I always say, there are only two kinds of people - those who have screwed up and those who are going to...

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:06 pm 

I use a Knoppix DVD for any serious data recovery or file management I need. Check it out here http://knoppix.org/. Pretty amazing stuff, this linux business.

Post subject: Re: Recover Data?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:39 pm 

In all likelihood the answer is no. IF you didn't reboot the thing a bunch and try to recover it yourself then you could pull the drive and send it to a data recovery service. This will be very pricey and they still may not be able to recover the data from such a monumental mistake. Two words to keep in mind for the future... BACKUPS & BACKUPS!

Sorry for the bleak prognosis but it is likely all gone. This is the worst way to learn something sorry to say.

Mike