NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remote Storage Option
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Has anyone tried the new remote storage option yet?

Just curious ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:10 pm 

Not yet, just killed a machine. opps flashed using the wrong bios.

Should be able to test in a couple of days. will post how i get on then.

Edit
Just noticed I will have to purchase another license to run two servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:12 pm 

Not yet ... but it is in my plans.

A couple of questions on the topic ...

First, clearly the "main" server must be version 2 machine, but can the "slave" be a 1.5 machine ?

I am sure you guys would prefer each machine to be version 2, and I realize that version 2 offers more and I will probably want to make the change on every machine, but for testing, would it work ? I already have three licenses of version 1.5.

Second, this might be a silly question but I don't know how it would work.

Does the data that resides on the "slave" need to travel through the "main" in order to be available, or does the "main" server simply point the client to the "slave" ?

I am curious about the load the data from the slave places on the main machine.

Either way, the feature is brilliant !!!

Thanks Tony.

Post subject: remote storage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:53 pm 

I have just managed to set up remote storage using Nas-2 as the master & Nas 1.x as slave, although being a newbie to this I'm not sure what advantage there is to having remote storage as I can access all disks on my NAS-2 & Nas 1.x servers via Windows network

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Berg wrote:
First, clearly the "main" server must be version 2 machine, but can the "slave" be a 1.5 machine ?

I am sure you guys would prefer each machine to be version 2, and I realize that version 2 offers more and I will probably want to make the change on every machine, but for testing, would it work ? I already have three licenses of version 1.5.

Second, this might be a silly question but I don't know how it would work.

Does the data that resides on the "slave" need to travel through the "main" in order to be available, or does the "main" server simply point the client to the "slave" ?

I am curious about the load the data from the slave places on the main machine.

The slave can be any NASLite server supporting NFS, so NASLite-NFS/NFSG, NASLite+ and + for USB Flash will work without a problem.

The data does have to travel via the NASLite-2 master, and there will be a performance hit, however, the versatility of centralizing all NAS hosted data on the network to a single access point can be very useful, especially considering the fact that NASLite-2 can be accessed via a gateway (careful there) ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:13 pm 

Tony wrote:

The slave can be any NASLite server supporting NFS, so NASLite-NFS/NFSG, NASLite+ and + for USB Flash will work without a problem.

The data does have to travel via the NASLite-2 master, and there will be a performance hit, however, the versatility of centralizing all NAS hosted data on the network to a single access point can be very useful, especially considering the fact that NASLite-2 can be accessed via a gateway (careful there) ;-)

Thanks Tony.

That all makes sense. Great that you can use version 1.5 for those of us who want to wait (or be cheap ;-) ). I am not surprised about the use of the main machine - it only makes sense. That means your best machine should be the 2.0 main server.

Yep, accesible through the gateway can be a little dangerous, but you obviously heard us loud and clear on the wishes of the masses !!! :lol:

Now, if we could just get UnionFS ... of course, the masses might be quiet on this one :P

Post subject: Re: remote storage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

chris_cronin wrote:
I have just managed to set up remote storage using Nas-2 as the master & Nas 1.x as slave, although being a newbie to this I'm not sure what advantage there is to having remote storage as I can access all disks on my NAS-2 & Nas 1.x servers via Windows network

NASLite-2 allows services to be set as RW or RO, etc. It also supports a gateway, so if you want to export a bank of NASLite servers on a network to another network, you can now do that using a single access point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:14 am 

using the remote storage option to point to my dvd-server v1.4. Access is pretty good, read speed is ok, write is a little slower. Great option!!!