NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:20 am 

I was really hoping for better Gigabit NIC support in NASLite-2, since the support in NASLite+ 1.5 was limited and obsolete (e.g. new versions of Intel Pro/1000, D-Link, and 3Com Gb NICs are not supported).

In looking at the NASLite-2 Manual, I'm dissappointed to see that it appears there has been no update to the supported NIC list. Can it really be that with all of these enhancements to NASLite there are no new drivers for Gb NICs?

I was ready to pay for an upgrade to NASLite-2 USB just to get broader NIC support....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:34 am 
Site Admin

I seem to remember a post from your regarding the Intel Pro 1000/GT, that card does not work, all other Intel Pro 1000's work fine. There is no GT driver shipped with the Linux kernel.

Please list the cards/models that "supposedly" aren't supported.

Currently I have Netgear GA311's and Intel Pro 1000/MT's running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:46 am 
Site Admin

I just looked at the manual, and all of the gig cards that are supported, are *not* listed. ie: the Netgear GA311

We'll need to update that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:51 am 

Ralph wrote:
I seem to remember a post from your regarding the Intel Pro 1000/GT, that card does not work, all other Intel Pro 1000's work fine. There is no GT driver shipped with the Linux kernel.

Please list the cards/models that "supposedly" aren't supported.

Currently I have Netgear GA311's and Intel Pro 1000/MT's running.

Intel Pro/1000 GT (tried and doesn't work at all)
D-Link DGE-530T (tried, recognized but only works at 100Mb)
3Com (not tried, but can't find older 3C985 listed as supported -- what about 3C2000-T?)
Netgear GA311 (works but very sensitive to cabling and switches, and I can't afford to replace my Netgear GS608 switches trying to get this NIC to work)

I realize and understand that you are limited by the drivers available in Linux, and I'm willing to live with that if in fact you have included all available drivers for leading chipsets.

But so far I've wasted the money that I spent on D-Link and Intel NICs, thinking that they were supported based on the manual but finding instead that only older chipsets were supported. I believe that you need to clarify the manual in regards to what is really supported, and you shouldn't say that "Intel Pro/1000" is supported if you know that the newer GT version does NOT work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:02 am 
Site Admin

jgsouthard wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Intel Pro/1000 GT (tried and doesn't work at all)
D-Link DGE-530T (tried, recognized but only works at 100Mb)
3Com (not tried, but can't find older 3C985 listed as supported -- what about 3C2000-T?)
Netgear GA311 (works but very sensitive to cabling and switches, and I can't afford to replace my Netgear GS608 switches trying to get this NIC to work)

The D-Link and GA311 problems are related to your networking.

Since it's virtually impossible for us to list everything NL does/doesn't support, we made available the "hardware" thread for these types of
discussions.

Could you imagine the size of the manual if Windows listed everything it supported?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:51 pm 

I upgraded to NASLite-2 USB today, and my problems with the Netgear GA311 NIC went away. Now I'm getting solid 1Gb connections even at the end of an 80 ft section of Cat 5e, using the exact same hardware and NIC that before was giving me iffy 1Gb connections even 7 ft away from the switch using a Cat 6 patch cord.

Ralph may very well have been correct that my network setup (i.e. consumer gigabit switches) may have been the source of my problems getting solid 1Gb connections with NASLite+, but SOMETHING appears to be different with NASLite-2. Maybe updated drivers?

Anyway, I'm happier now.... :)