NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 am 

My NAS was up and running okay until I installed a gigabit network card today. I figured out via the forum that the onboard lan needs to be disabled in the BIOS - which I did.

When I rebooted, I noted that the activation code failed and that the system would hang on "Checking storage filesystem" on the main 8tb drive.

I could not get access to the admin console like this, so I disconnected all but the boot drive. I got access and reset the activation key and the system appeared to be happy. Also, the new network card seemed to be communicating just fine.

However, now when I turn the server on, all process are green until it gets to the main storage drive again, where it appears to hang on "Checking storage filesystem".

Is it just taking a really long time to check the filesystem, because it looks like it's hung on that disk to me and there is something more ugly at work here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:44 am 

So for anyone else that thinks the server is hanging like this . . . it's probably not, it's just taking a long time to check the status of some large disks. I left the server on overnight and came back to a happy system.

On the booting process screen, there is no indication that it's "working" on checking the file system. There is no % done or anything like that. So there is no real way of knowing whether the server is really checking the disks, or if it's hung. In my case, it took a good number of hours before the system was finished checking my main disk.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 pm 

Yes, a large file system like the one you have will take a very long time to complete an FS check. The appliance software is sadly not very verbose as to what is actually going on under the hood other than the info on the status screen.

Glad you got it up and working again.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:37 pm 

+1 for the "server seems hung - left it overnight and in the morning it was fine" statement.

Maybe we should put up a stick post that just says "If it seems hung, leave it overnight and check again - very likely fine" or something to that effect...just to give folks a quick hint that despite the long time between console activity, things are usually fine...especially given that the forums may not be checked as often as they used to be...