NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apple and NASLite-2?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 am 

I've been battling to connect to a new NASLite installation from my Apple laptop, latest OS. So I've read around the net and on here and noted that there were a lot of problems after Apple changed their protocol somewhat. Looks like that was a long time ago now - is there still a problem?

I've got as far as setting the server up with two test drives. For some or other reason my installation to a USB drive did not work, but the installation to one of the 500gb HDD worked just fine. I've "unlocked" the software and it all seems to be configured okay.

In the Finder, my Mac automatically picked up two shared locations. One called NASLite-2 AFP and another called naslite-2. I can access from the finder NASLite-2 AFP and note that it has a Status folder in it that links to the html component of access. I cannot drop any files into the folder. It tells me that I need an admin user and pass for this. Apple says I'm connected as guest to this location. However, if I try and connect as "admin" with the correct password, I get an error message about the version of the software you trying to connect to is not supported. If I simply navigate to the "status folder", this folder comes up as a "drive" on my desktop automatically.

If I try to connect to the other network location called "naslite-2", it does not automatically sign is as a guest. If I try and "Connect As", I get the same message about the version of the software you trying to connect to is not supported.

If I use the finder and "go" and "connect to server" with smb://192.168.0.50 (ip of server) I get the same error message. If I try afp://192.168.0.50 I get a login screen that rejects me with the same story about the version of the server not being supported.

I'm sure I'm doing something daft - how do I access this server from a Mac?

**Edit

I see this "workaround" from many years back now: http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/o ... orkaround/

Surely this is sorted by now one way or another?

Post subject: Re: Apple and NASLite-2?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:05 pm 

It helps if you have a drive mounted before trying to write to the server!
My bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:30 pm 

A long while ago there was a similar post with the same issue. If I recall correctly you needed to edit a file on the apple OS and add a line. I can't recall the name of the file or what needed to be added to it. Sorry.

PM the admins and they may be able to help you with that.

Edit: This might help. http://serverelements.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2375&hilit=mac+password

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:50 am 
Site Admin

You need to connect to your NL box using AFP.

When you open the share, if all you see is a folder name Status, you don't have an drives set to export, you'll need to go into the CLI and under the disk configuration change it to :

1 - Export Disk-0 [ RW ] (RW, RO, --)

The Status folder is ready only for the web UI.

Thanks.

*Edit* Just noticed in one of your previous posts you figured out the drive wasnt exported.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 am 

Ralph,

Great to see you posting here.
Is a new release getting any closer?

Thanks,
Rick