NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:31 am 

Hi there,

I have just purchased Naslite-2 64x edition from your website. I have installed the iso image to a USB flash disk and chose 'i' at installation. Half way through the setup, it freezes with 'unable to mount CD-ROM' error message. Then it shuts down the system.

I have tried multiple usb drives, multiple ports, and multiple methods of putting the iso image onto the usb. I have also tried setting my bios to IDE rather than ACHI.

Can you please advise over how to get past this issue? I bought your software in the hope that installation would be quick and breezy, as I have a NAS storage deadline to meet imminently.

Best,
Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:50 am 
Site Admin

First, I would advise installing NASLite to a USB key and not a hard drive install, with that, you can install it from any machine and then put the USB key into your server and boot.

Rufus I believe works fine to write the iso image to a USB key, from there you can boot that USB key, and install the OS to another.

This is a known problem with some hardware.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:01 am 

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have just tried the usb key in two other machines, and both fail at the same point. Seems like a pretty major issue, surely if this is a known problem you should place some kinda disclaimer on the site... I'm starting to feel like i've just tossed 30 bucks down the drain. I have 3 computers in the house, all with different motherboards and all pretty new. Some are running linux distros, windows, and even OS X, yet they can't run your software?

Best,
Dave

EDIT: And yes, i did use Rufus.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:41 pm 

I've just tried on a 4th machine with the same error. This one has a gigabyte motherboard, while the other 3 had asus ones. Surely there has to be more to this? Surely ONE of these machines should be able to install NASLITE-2?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Seems like a pretty major issue

Actually it's pretty low, extremely low, and only happens with some really crappy hardware out there. No one can guarantee 100% hardware compatibility.

I would now suggest burning the ISO to a CDR and booting from that, or boot the iso in a virtual environment and creating the USB key.

There might also be some threads on the forum from the past, probably very few, but there might be some more information to help as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:01 pm 

I'm not running crappy hardware... Running standard Gigabyte and Asus motherboards. Sandybridge, 2 Ivy Bridge and one Haswell.
I don't have any cd drives anymore and don't have a virtual machine currently set up. Could you not send me an already installed copy of the OS for me to place upon a usb? It's not too much to ask in this day and age for an OS that is USB friendly, given the demise of CD drives.

Can you really blame this on crappy hardware? I've literally had no problems with any other linux distros, or windows, or even OS X.

EDIT: I've tried everything i can find in your forums, with no success.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have installed the iso image to a USB flash disk and chose 'i' at installation.

I actually had to go back and reread your post here, so you are getting into the NL installer, and its bombing in there.

This sounds like a Rufus issue not reporting the disk correctly, let me take a look at it and see whats missing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:39 pm 

Yeah, getting past all the files loading etc. It gets to the purple screen and the second message is the error message.

I've tried rufus, unetbootin, and even using an external bootloader. Can you recommend the best way to get this image onto usb?

Quote:
let me take a look at it and see whats missing.

How would be best for you to take a look?

Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Looking into on my end, Rufus did the same thing to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:45 pm 

I can't lie, that brings me some comfort. I knew i wasn't going insane!

Please let me know what you discover as soon as convenient.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

I need to talk to Tony on this tomorrow, and it's late here and the weekend.

I'm pretty sure he has the answer, it's an issue with creating the USB key with Rufus.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:32 pm 

And unetbootin, and through the os x terminal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:52 pm 

Any progress on this man?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

I have to test this, but here is a "first to mind" solution: Take the NASlite ISO and dd it directly to the USB block device (as in /dev/sdX and not /dev/sdXY in Linux). Using Rufus, or another similar alternative will modify the filesystem to FAT32 and that will damage the installer. We need CDFS to install. Most BIOS implementations are intelligent enough to identify it as such and boot accordingly.

Ralph or I will confirm this over the following few days. No guarantee it will work, but at first glance it should.

Tony.

PS: May require isohybrid. Have to test and see.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Another quick alternative is to boot the ISO using vmware, virtual box etc, and install to the USB key.

I'm going to have to look back over some work I did a while back, I believe as Tony said, dd and making the iso hybrid worked, I will verify this in a bit.