NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:41 pm 

Just a heads up for folks look on this forum for any help. You are not going to get any from the developers. I have tried emails, PMs and have gotten no response.

NASLite 2 is NOT compatiable with Yosemite. The only way I have been able to connect to the server is with NFS which is not an effective way to connect with a Mac. Adobe products do not work well with NFS.

Attempting to use AFP only leads to file errors making copying and moving files impossible.

Working on rebuilding all of my servers with NAS4Free or some other alternatives.

I hate this since I have been using NASLite since 2006 with great success. But I guess Ralph and Tony have moved on to other things.

If you are not using Yosemite on a Mac, you might have success. But I would be cautious due to the lack of support and future development.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

We've been pretty busy working on the next release actually.

I use, and develop NL, over AFP on an iMac and Powerbook, both using 10.10.3 everyday with no issues what so ever.

Reading over what you have said, I would say you have permission issues. Files need to be copied to your NL boxes, thru NL.
You can't copy files from a mounted drive and then expect things to work correctly. *ALL* permissions are read/write and set to NAS-User, this hasn't changed since the inception of NL.

If all files are set to NAS-User, then you more then likely have either have a corrupted filesystem, left over lock files, or defective hardware.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:24 pm 

I have been using NL since 2006 and have never had the issues that I am having with Yosemite on any other install. This is the first install to use Yosemite, so my assumption was that it was an issue with Yosemite. If that is a wrong assumption then I apologize. But apparently saying that it doesn't work is what it took to finally get a response.

I am glad you have been working on a new release, but there has been little response on this forum in the past 6-12 months. Even questions about whether there is going to be a new release go unanswered. So you can probably understand my frustration. Support has been great in the past but it has greatly fallen off recently.

If you look at a post created on Aug. 18 you will see some of the issues and what I have tried.

I have not been able to copy files, move files or rename files on the server for 4 weeks. I can copy files from my computer to NL and from NL to my computer. But any attempt to copy files from one folder to another on the server via AFP results in errors.

I have had to resort to NFS to be able to use the server and that has not worked well either. All attempts to use SMB fail with Yosemite saying the server does not support the protocol.

In fact, I am working on two Mac minis right not to take the place of NL since I have not been able to use the server.

I would appreciate any assistance in making the NL server work. I am using 3ware RAID Controllers in an HP 64-bit box with an AMD processor.

I copied the files from an old NL server using RSYNC. I assumed that the permissions would have been the same as they were on the original server. They might have been corrupted on the old server. I do not know.

You said: "If all files are set to NAS-User, then you more then likely have either have a corrupted filesystem, left over lock files, or defective hardware."

How do I check to see if all files are set to NAS-User?

If I do have a permissions issue, how do I resolve it? Just saying I have one does not give me much to go on. Do I change it in NL? Do I change it on the Mac?

You also mention left over lock files. When connected with NFS I did see some afpdeleted files on the server. Are these what you are talking about? If so, how did they get created and how is it solved?

Do I do a disk check to cure the corrupted filesystem?

A little more info would be appreciated.

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Let me get with Tony in the morning and we''ll go thru all this and provide some answers.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:32 am 
Site Admin

I've been able to reproduce at least one of your issues, when renaming files.
Netatalk version 2.2.1 is the version used, we'll upgrade the version and see if this fixes this issue.

NFS works fine, mount the NL drive using this format; nfs://192.168.1.1/export/Disk-0

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:12 pm 

The problem with NFS is that Adobe inDesign will crash saying that the file is not longer available or has been modified by another process. We have never had that issue with AFP connections.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:32 pm 

Any update on this?

Thanks,
Rick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Should have some info on this in a couple of days. We ran into a bug with Netatalk with ACL's that will not work in our environment.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Sent you a email a few days ago about testing this, still haven't heard from you.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:42 pm 

I replied about 20 minutes after I got it.

I will resend.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:46 pm 

Here is the jest of my email:
I need the 32 bit version to test here, but the server that is actually initially having the issues is a 64-bit.

So please send me the 32-bit and I will test it here and if you want to send me the 64-bit I can send it down to the remote location for testing there.

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Admin

I'm assuming everything is still fine since I sent you a fixed version a couple of weeks ago?

-Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:37 pm 

The test files seemed to work okay as a clean install. But when I put it into production, I am having issues. I have tried to update an existing install but when I try to do an update on the USB drive, I get an error that is is unable to install the binaries. I have tried multiple times and always get the same error.

I am trying to update over the latest version from 2013.

I have tried booting to the original 64-bit version, swapping out a USB with the test version and saving the configs to the test USB. When I do that, it the test version will not boot saying that there are not configs on the boot drive. I have been able to do that before (swap USB and save configs) with other updates.

So the only option I know is to start over as if it is a new install and re-enter all of the info. Not a deal breaker but I would say that the "fix" is still not complete.

Also, I never heard anything about a time table about the newest version. It has been mentioned on this site for over 6 months but still not updates any where on when to expect it.