NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:06 pm 

It seems there hasn't been a new version since 2013. Is Ralph still working on it? Should I be moving to open nas?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:04 am 
Site Admin

Hasn't stopped. New and bigger things coming, look for announcements soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:12 am 

"How SOOOOON?" Ralph (Danny DeVito) - Romancing the Stone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:13 am 

any news on a new release or a taster on what's to come

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:56 am 

any news :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:44 pm 

The best I can surmise is that they are no longer working on the project. I have seen very little input from them in the past couple of years. If it works for you then you are good. If you are hoping for new functionality and features then you might be better off looking elsewhere.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:43 pm 

I have emailed support several times now asking if Server Elements have stopped supporting their users and no replies have been sent to me. It is too bad that the people at Server Elements have let those of us that need support down. At this time, I have been looking for alternatives for a server os that I can depend on support from the developers. As it stands now, I see no future for Server Elements. I don't think the developers of NasLite really know how good NasLite is otherwise Server Elements would be more popular. It may be that the developers themselves have just given up.

My opinion is that NasLite is far better than any other NAS solution available however, the support is deader than dead and that is the solution to non-existance in the future. Support is more important than making a profit and support brings in revenue. I wonder if the developers know that?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:55 pm 

Yah, no. The fact is that they likely have lives and careers that have taken over their time that was once dedicated to the development of the appliance software. At one time there was a fairly active group of contributors in the forums that helped to provide basic user support. Tony and Ralph would step in when it required more in depth support outside of that available from the community. At the end of the day though if the amount of effort put forth to support is not offset by the limited sales then you move on. I suspect that is the case here. I rolled out a NASLite server a while back for a friend and it is still working just fine with no issues after 2 years. Most support issues seem to come from people trying to do that which it was never designed to do in the first place. Good luck on the search for a suitable replacement.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:54 am 

Hi out there!

I have been using a quite old version of the the NASLite-2, from 2009, without any issues until now.

However after upgrading to Windows 10 recently, the SMB/CIFS in NASLite is not compatible anymore with Win10.
There is an option to downgrade the SMB/CIFS in Windows to solve the situation, but according to Microsoft there are considerable risks with this.

My question is, whether the latest versions of NASLite have a later version of the SMB? I believe the latest version is SMB3.

Thanks for any reply
Arne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:13 pm 

JohnSmith wrote:
Hi out there!

I have been using a quite old version of the the NASLite-2, from 2009, without any issues until now.

However after upgrading to Windows 10 recently, the SMB/CIFS in NASLite is not compatible anymore with Win10.
There is an option to downgrade the SMB/CIFS in Windows to solve the situation, but according to Microsoft there are considerable risks with this.

My question is, whether the latest versions of NASLite have a later version of the SMB? I believe the latest version is SMB3.

Thanks for any reply
Arne

Have performed that change to all windows machines here without problems. Admit it's a bit of a kludge - but worth it to me.

We don't buy windows any more, and our Linux boxes and media players handle NASLite just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:17 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Good luck on the search for a suitable replacement.

Mike

Yeah, might be difficult. Everything is so bloated now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 pm 

artdoyle wrote:
mikeiver1 wrote:
Good luck on the search for a suitable replacement.

Mike

Yeah, might be difficult. Everything is so bloated now.

I'm a long-time user of NASLite, happily running it on two different PC's at home and our church for the last 15+ years. As long as you are content with a simple NAS box with totally open security (Read/Write for Everyone on all shared folders), it was a great tool. But lack of support and updates has been a problem for several years since development ceased, and several things have continued to bug me:

- Inability to use pool.ntp.org for time synchronization. It seems like in the last few years that there are no longer any stable NTP IP addresses, so no matter which one I pick it will be down on occasion. That causes NASLite to hang. I've had to remove time synchronization altogether in order to keep NASLite stable.

- It has always bugged me that NASLite forced Disk-1, Disk-2, etc. into the path of every shared folder. The physical disk structure should be invisible to users of the NAS.

- Deleting files on NASLite is VERY slow, especially on large files. I have used NASLite for image backups of multiple systems, resulting in many files of multiple GB's each (in some cases, 100's of GB's). Trying to clean up or delete those files can take forever, up to several minutes per file.

So with the last couple of months, I have finally abandoned NASLite for good. After a brief research process, I settled on OpenMediaVault 5 as the best available alternative (based on Debian Linux). Although the functionality available with OMV is FAR greater than NASLite, it can quickly be configured as a simple open-security NAS box just like NASLite, and it resolves every one of the issues I was having with NASLite. And I can easily add security or expand functionality as needed, without changing platforms. And it's free.

For anyone still hanging in there with NASLite, you might want to give OMV a look.