NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:21 pm 

Okay, I've run into a weird one. I have a bunch of zip files on my NAS, and in Windows7 I can usually double-click on a zip and it gets treated like an ordinary folder, where I can open and read the contents like usual, navigate around in any subdirs, and so on. But when I try to read any zip file located on the NAS, I get an error saying:
Quote:
"Windows cannot open the folder.

The Compressed (zipped) Folder '\\NASLITE-2\Disk-0\yaddayadda\filename.zip' is invalid.

If I copy the zip to the local machine and double-click on it, it opens like usual. Is there some sort of clash going on between how NAS does things and how Windows 7 does things wrt opening zip files?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:01 am 

Could you try to install a ZIP program (ex WinZIP) and try if it works when you double click on the ZIP file and the ZIP program opens it OK. If this is the case, than yes, Windows has something funny with the ZIP files on the NAS.

Robby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:12 am 

Well, WinZip doesn;'t seem to offer a way to just read the contents of the zip when you right-click it in Windows Explorer. On the other hand, 7zip does, so I tried opening a zip file in that... and it did, and I opened and looked at the RTF file in the particular zip file on the NAS.

Windows still gives the invalid-file error when the zip is on the NAS, but it opens it fine when I copy the same zip file to the local machine and double-click it there, and lets me load the RTF in it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:34 am 

Well, I'm lost here. I have no idea how Windows treat zip files and why it works on local and why not when it is on the NAS.

Maybe Windows doesn't get the right file size from the NAS and thus thinks that the ZIP is corrupted.

Robby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:00 pm 

So, anyone else having this problem with their NAS when connecting to it from a Win7 64bit machine? Or is it just me? oO