NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:14 am 

Okay, I had my old NAS sitting unpowered for 3 years (don't ask! :D ), because the old machine didn't have enough RAM to properly restore the drive directory structure after a power outage. I recently I moved the drive onto a newly-purchased machine, it boots, it appears it restored the drive (it states "Checking storage filesystem ( Disk-0 ) ( Clean ) [ DONE ]", and then a bit farther down, "Mounting storage ( Disk-0 ) [ DONE ]", I take that to mean the drive is restored and mounted), and everything else shows [ DONE ] next to it except for "Verifying Unlock Code ( A4CCD ) [ FAIL ]", which I understand just means I need to re-verify for the new machine from its web interface (right?), and "Checking storage filesystem ( Disk-1 ) [ FAIL ]", and "Checking storage filesystem ( Disk-2 ) [ FAIL ]", but since I only have the one drive ( Disk-0 ), that just means it can't find any other drives (right?).

Anyway, it also states "Detecting network device (eth0 set to 192.168.0.10 ) [ DONE ]", so I apparently it's detecting and mounting the Ethernet card.... but when I browse to 192.168.0.10 from either one of the Windows machines in the house, it gives me Problem loading page.

This is using NASLite-2 v2.64 11-2010.

The machine I moved my NASLite-2 drive onto is a Foxconn SFF R50-D4 Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz, Dual-core) Intel NM10 Intel GMA 3150 Barebone. Specifically, this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856119041

Do I need to install an Ethernet card to take the place of the built in Ethernet? It seems to detect the card, so that suggests it's not a driver issue. Am I missing something?

Last edited by NomadOfNorad on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:45 am 

have you allocated 192.168.0.10 or is that a carry over from the old machine setup - either way go into settings and check what naslite thinks the ip address is - whatever it is give it a new one - save config and try again - it just saves something new - if that works then there should be no reason not to go back to .10 if thats setup as the addy from other computers

if its findinf the network card it should work - have you also turned off all devices in bios that are not needed to free up all irq's

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:45 pm 

Yeah, the 192.168.0.10 is the holdover from the previous (retired) machine. So, I'd need to log in from the machine and set it again from there?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:51 pm 

Okay, I changed the IP to 192.168.1.10 (I'd had to change my LAN's IP range since the NAS was last used, so figured I might as well make that change here while I was at it...), and I'm still getting Problem loading page. (The connection was reset. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. [...])

Any idea what to try next?

edited to add:
On a different note, I have not been able to determine what Ethernet chipset the machine is using. Is there any possibility that NASLite-2 somehow thinks the Ethernet in the machine is one particular chipset when really it's another, and so is loading the wrong driver?

edited to add:
More specs here. http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDe ... -us0000081

It says the Ethernet is by Realtek, but doesn't say more specific than that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:18 am 

Can you telnet into the nas?

Are you sure that both machines are on the same network range? IE 192.168.1.xxx and that both have unique addresses. If you have a DHCP server and the address of the the NAS is in the lease range of said server then you may have duplicate addresses. Conversely, if the server is assigning a different range such as 192.168.0.xxx then this would be a cause as well if the NAS was on 192.168.1.xxx network.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:05 pm 

Hmmmmm..... getting "connection timed out" with telnet. And pinging 192.168.1.10 gives Destination host unreachable.

Anyway, there's only 2 or 3 other machines on the LAN here, none of them with the same IP. And I was getting the exact same problem browsing to the NAS when it was on 192.168.0.10 before. At that, it appears the DHCP hands out addresses starting from x.1.65 and above.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:19 pm 

If you have another nic laying about I might be inclined to give it a try as it seems that the nic may be bad on the board at this point of the drivers for it in NASLite just don't load it properly. You could try a live Linux distro and see if it loads the on board nic properly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:05 pm 

Guess I'll have to pop over to Office Depot and hope they still have Ethernet cards this year... or if they don't, drive to the TigerDirect on the other side of town. Haven't tried booting it to a Linux live CD yet, tho.

On the other hand, one of the reviews on the site I ordered the machine from did say something about how the Ethernet didn't work on his and he had to install a card.

So, if I place a new card in... I can easily set the new card from the NASLite-2 text interface, right?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:06 pm 

You sure can.

Try the live CD since it is a rather easy step first, then the NIC if there is no network functionality.

Another idea is to make sure that you have the latest BIOS on the new board. Sometimes they are screwed up from the factory and require a flash to fix an issue with some part of the hardware.

Pretty sure that you will find a NIC locally, even best buy has them. They are not cheap from wither office max, staples, or best buy though. My advice is that you go to Ebay and find an auction for a GigE nic using an Intel chipset, some will run you less than $20.00 each and include shipping to boot.

For instance: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200900644185

Also not the location of the device.... Friends don't let friends use Best buy, staples, or office max for this sort of thing.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:31 pm 

Well, I launched onto a Ubuntu live CD, and that machine is able to see the LAN, and in fact could see the machine I'm typing this on. But I still can't access that machine over the LAN when its running as the NAS.

I have a new Ethernet card that I could install, still in shrink-wrap, but does anyone else have an idea what else I might try before installing that?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have a new Ethernet card that I could install

Unless your current nic is defective is some way, I would imagine you have a networking issue some where.

When NL boots, it verifies it has a ethernet card, if it can't communicate with a card, it will shut down.

I would re-verify all of you network settings, make sure the gateway etc are all correct for your network.
If you have multiple nics, verify your plugged into the correct one, FIRST/LAST

If you have a crossover cable, connect directly to your NL to eliminate bad network devices, i.e: switch, cables etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:22 am 

Thing is, the Ethernet port on this machine is integrated into the motherboard. When it is running NASLite, it does not seem to show up at all on the LAN to any other machine in the house. This has been tried with two completely different Ethernet cables, and with the machine in two completely different parts of the house with the cable connected to a completely different part of the LAN at one point.

However, booting the machine to a Ubuntu live CD, the machine clearly DOES connect to the LAN, via that same, integrated Ethernet port.... Since it can SEE and name the machine I am posting this message from, I know the integrated Ethernet is working.

On the other hand, when I booted the machine to NASLite today, I also noticed it had reverted itself back to being 192.168.0.10 instead of the 192.168.1.10 I (thought I had) changed it to. oO I can't get the machine's webpage to display at either address, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:46 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
However, booting the machine to a Ubuntu live CD, the machine clearly DOES connect to the LAN

Then we can rule out bad hardware.

Are you configuring the Ubuntu live cd with the same IP address, net mask and gateway as your NL box or letting it get an ip thru DHCP?

Quote:
I also noticed it had reverted itself back to being 192.168.0.10

NASLite has no facility to revert back to an old configuration, when you save the configuration it overwrites the old one, and the old one is gone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:09 am 

Just to reiterate. Be sure to configure the network interface setting the proper IP address in the same range as your existing network as well as the netmask. I don't set the gateway on my box.

BE SURE TO SAVE AND REBOOT BEFORE TRYING TO ACCESS THE SERVER.

mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:09 pm 

Okay, went through and changed the settings, and this time made sure I saved and rebooted, and now I can get to the server webpage from the other machines. Yippeee!! :D :D