NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:17 am 

Hi folks. :)

I found the Realtek 8111 listed in the supported network hardware, but I cannot find any entry in the supported storage device list for the AMD A45 FCH chipset, which contains the controller for the four SATA ports.

Can anyone tell me if the AMD A45 FCH is supported by NASLite?

Other Linux-based OS's support this chip, but that could quite possibly be because the size of a full point-and-click Linux OS is considerably larger then the size of NASLite. ;)

Last edited by Graeme on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:16 am 

Bump!
:wink:

So, no-one has any idea about this?

No-reply = not supported then?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:58 am 

I personally have no experience with this chipset. In the past the guys have rolled in support for devices upon request. They are busy and some times miss a thread so a PM might be a bit better at getting their attention.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 pm 

I wonder if I could install the old copy I have here and see if the on-screen text says that it has found some hard disks - that would be as good as anything - might try that.

This old copy has expired(computer no longer exists that it was installed on), so I can't activate it, but perhaps just doing an install will PROBABLY generate a log-file, which might give away weather the version of Linux used in NL2 has detected any hard-drives.

Perhaps worth a try - would only take a few minutes...

Are you(or anyone else) able to tell me the names of the members I would need to PM about this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:34 pm 

Tony and Ralph are the admins/devs. Right at the top of the first page of members.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:26 pm 

Thanks for that. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:17 pm 

Looking at the chip I would suspect that it will work, it appears to be a common design in the AMD line. There are likely general purpose drivers that will see it and work with it.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:04 am 

Is there any way to test that idea before I buy a copy that won't work on that board?
:wink:

I have sent a PM to Tony - weather he replies would depend on how busy he is, I guess.

I will clear a little space on my desk, and setup one of those boards and install my old copy of NL2.
As mentioned above, I won't be able to activate, but perhaps it will show me the HDD's, which would mean I could buy a new copy, which would be 64-bit USB. The E350N, being a reasonably current board, can boot from USB no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 am 

the software does not expire - if you have an old copy - install it and activate it - it should let you do that - it is not machine or motherboard specific

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:26 pm 

Instruction manual says on page 10 that activation code is network-hardware specific, and won't work on other installations.
As I have activated the copy I have on another machine, which has since been disposed of(it died), I would expect that I would be unable to re-activate on different hardware, for precisely the reasons stated on page ten of the manual.

Also, I can't find the licence ID that was supplied with that copy at time of purchase. I still have the email linking me to the download back in 2008(expired, naturally!), but no licence ID from which to install from. :P

It's no big deal really - I was planning on getting the 64-bit version anyway, to support HDD volumes bigger then 2TB.

But I will try the old copy anyway, just to see if it can see the drives and SATA interface.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:05 pm 

It should work, Tony and Ralph are not microsoft, they don't screw the customer like that. Simply install and follow the activation instructions.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:38 pm 

not read page 10 but its wrong - install it and it will work - yes to get it fully working you will need the code - think that can be retrieved via original email

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:29 pm 

Hi guys. :)

Thanks very much for your posts - I appreciate your time.

I have two emails from sales at server elements dot com(seperated to prevent bots picking it up), one for NL2-HDD and one for NanoNAS.

Both emails are kinda the same layout, with a link to the download.

NanoNAS was Aug 11th 2008, and NL2-HDD was OCt 3rd 2008.

In BOTH cases, the link to the download is in the format of ....download.php?SEI-NL2-NN&???????????????????????

I have truncated this, for privacy, and also, so I am not posting the old link.
I expect the old links are more then dead now anyway - emails say maximum of 180 days - long gone. :wink:

The question marks are an alpha-numeric code - perhaps this is my licence ID?
Not exact number of characters - the question marks just represent there is some kind of code there.

Both NannNAS and NL2-HDD have the same format, NL2-HDD being download.php?SEI-NL2-HDD&???????????????????????

These would be 32-bit versions if anything at all.

Is it true that I will need 64-bit anyway, for volumes bigger then 2TB?
I think 2TB is the maximum ANY 32-bit OS can access, Linux included, but I might be wrong - maybe that is a MBR and Windows problem more then anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:22 am 

Just a quick follow-up now that I have everything up and running on this board with NL2.

Standard install of NL2 v2.68, RELEASE: 11-2013, 64-bit.

Standard install picked up the network, and the SATA ports etc - no problems at all.

There was some issues with formatting the HDD's, but that was my fault, not NL2's.

The system is built using this E350N mini-ITX board from Gigabyte.
This board is great, as it is nice an small being mini-ITX, but with four SATA ports, it can handle a large amount of storage in a small physical space.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:11 am 

Reported to administrators.