NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 am 

as the title - i usually use a windows 7 machine to access the server but have installed windows 8 and now get the message above - i can access it via a browser - any drive - any file and via ftp but try via windows 8 network and i get an access error

tried it on a second windows 8 system and no better so the problem would seem to be 8 but i cannot see where and what to change

so - has anybody else seen this and have you solved it or is it Microsoft breaking something?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:57 am 

Hi Tony

I can access my server on a Win8 computer easily but Win8 is a PITA concerning LAN settings :(

How is the computer connected to the LAN (WiFi , cable) ? Can you FTP the server ? What about PING it ? did you try waiting (till up to 5 min !) so that the Win 8 sees all the computers on the LAN ? What happens if you type \\SERVERNAME in a explorer window ?

Robby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:11 am 

hi robby - thanks for the reply - yep win 8 is a pain - i can do all you ask - i was coming here this morning to say i had solved it

my naslite server is/was called just that 'NasLite Server' its been that for years - ever OS i have tried it with has found it and the drives on the network

but not 8 - for no reason i renamed it to simply 'NasLite' and it works - the simple answer windows 8 does not like the space between the 2 words

go figure - just luck i found it - no help on google or anywhere

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 am 

tony a wrote:
but not 8 - for no reason i renamed it to simply 'NasLite' and it works - the simple answer windows 8 does not like the space between the 2 words
Some 30 years ago, DOS didn't like spaces in file names either... Looks like nothing has changed since ;)

Robby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:14 pm 

This is a little old, this thread, but just for anyone's information - I have had similar problems with Win8 networking. It does not seem to like spaces in machine names. I had a couple of XP boxes on my home network with two word names, and Win8 would not talk to them no matter what. When I changed them to single-word names as per the hint here on this thread - hey presto! there they were, and accessible fine.

Perhaps this is something MS have fixed in Win8.1 - who can say.