NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:00 am 

I have not been able to get my NAS unit to time synch via the internet.
I have found several servers that provide the RFC-868 protocol (not all do) and have tried them with no success.

I tried opening a hole in my router's firewall for UDP and for TCP on port 37.

I also installed a client time-synching program on a machine connected to the same network and it works (set for an RFC-868 protocol); the router firewall changes don't appear to be necessary for this to happen. Works both ways.

I set a timeserver IP address in NAS, save the configuration, and reboot; then let it go for a week or so. But I never see any change from the 'Unknown' on the NAS system status page for 'Last Successful Synchronization'.

How often does NAS try to get a time reading?

(Using NAS-CDD version 2.06)

No real biggie, but it would be nice to have it working.
Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks.

javascript:emoticon(':(')
Sad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:57 am 

Yeah I have the same thing going here.. got a local linux NTP server that syncs all my clients fine but NASLite still reports:

Quote:
System Clock Synchronization:

TIME SERVER IP LAST SUCCESSFUL SYNCHRONIZATION
192.168.0.x UNKNOWN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

I use 129.6.15.28 to sync the clock. So far haven't had any problems.

NASLite-2 uses rdate as opposed to NTP. The benefits of rdate are mainly compact size and very low resource usage. It uses port 37 (opposed to 123 for NTP).

For further info on rdate, one can refer to the following: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc868.html

In contrast, take a look at the rfc governing NTP: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1305.html

Once set, NASlite-2 can then be used to sync clocks of windows machines using the NET command as follows: NET TIME \\NAMEORIP /SET /YES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:19 pm 

Tony wrote:

NASLite-2 uses rdate as opposed to NTP. The benefits of rdate are mainly compact size and very low resource usage. It uses port 37 (opposed to 123 for NTP).

For further info on rdate, one can refer to the following: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc868.html

In contrast, take a look at the rfc governing NTP: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1305.html

Once set, NASlite-2 can then be used to sync clocks of windows machines using the NET command as follows: NET TIME \\NAMEORIP /SET /YES

I guess I'll try 129.6.15.28 then.. feels abit odd to point to a time server in the US when I have a local time server sitting right next to the NASLite box ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

I understand,

The key however is an RFC 868 compliant time server. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:01 am 

[quote="Tony"]I use 129.6.15.28 to sync the clock. So far haven't had any problems.

That's one that I tried. I have it set to that IP right now, no update.
I used a separate client time setting program to verify that I can reach the time-server from here.

[quote="Tony"]NASLite-2 uses rdate as opposed to NTP. The benefits of rdate are mainly compact size and very low resource usage. It uses port 37 (opposed to 123 for NTP).

Yes, I tried several servers which support RFC-868. /port 37.

You didn't answer one question: 'how often does NAS try a time synch?' Will it happen right after boot-up or do I have to wait some time?? Are there retries?

Maybe I can put a packet sniffer on it and see if anything is coming out of the box.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:34 am 

ggpeters wrote:
Tony wrote:

That's one that I tried. I have it set to that IP right now, no update.
I used a separate client time setting program to verify that I can reach the time-server from here.

Tony wrote:

Yes, I tried several servers which support RFC-868. /port 37.

You didn't answer one question: 'how often does NAS try a time synch?' Will it happen right after boot-up or do I have to wait some time?? Are there retries?

Maybe I can put a packet sniffer on it and see if anything is coming out of the box.

I take it one has to set a gateway in order for the time sync to work.. have you entered a gateway in NASLite settings? Mine actually did sync after using the 129.6.15.28 server:
Quote:
LAST SUCCESSFUL SYNCHRONIZATION Tue Nov 6 08:00:30 UTC 2007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:16 am 
Site Admin

Quote:

Once at boot time and once each day at 00:00 UTC ;-)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:18 pm 

Tony wrote:
Quote:

Once at boot time and once each day at 00:00 UTC ;-)

Sorry for "reviving" such an old thread ... but I just had the same question, and could not otherwise find an answer. I noticed that the documentation does not even mention "timeserver" in it (hint ... hint) ... might want to update the User Guide/Install_and_Admin Manual :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 pm 

So ....

Now that I have started looking into using the TimeServer feature ... I am unable getting it to work. In debugging the issue with an Ubuntu system on the same internal network, I have discovered that under Ubuntu (after installing "rdate") I need to specify the "-u" option for the command to work; omitting it causes the command to hang.

rdate -pu 129.6.15.28 (this works on Ubuntu; /usr/bin/rdate is dated 2/28/2010)

On NASLite I have verified that I can "Ping Remote Computer" (Tools & Utilities Menu) that's external (e.g. 12.203.....).

So, does NL2 specify a "-u" option (UDP protocol) ? What else could cause the TimeServer to not update ? ("Last Successful Synchroniztion" reports "UNKNOWN"; I have rebooted a few times and waited past 0:00 UTC.)

TIA.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:40 pm 

In another thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3753)
Ralph wrote:
NASLite-2 v2.67 32/64Bit is now available for download.

Changes include:

- Update AFP to provide v3.3 support
- Update auto-configuration code to provide better TimeMachine support
- Update internet time synchronization client to provide RFC-1305 (NTP) support
- Perform optimizations to reduce memory footprint
- Perform optimizations to reduce root filesystem size
- Perform general code cleanup

THANK YOU ! :-)

This solved my Internet Time Sync issue on first boot of the updated USB stick. (Had been running v2.65, and the problem was probably present since MUCH earlier.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:04 pm 

Speaking of ... this Forum's time clock is 13 minutes slow :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 am 

Sorry to continue an old topic...

Since I started using NasLite, the timeserver sync NEVER worked. It annoys me that my resync times are so far off the real time, the time they're supposed to resync.

Reading this topic, I noticed that time sync works through port 37, so I opened port 37 in the firewall of XP for 192.168.1.111 (Box I), 192.168.1.112 (Box II), 192.168.1.3 (WinXP).
As you can see below, I am using the NL prescribed timeserver. What am I doing wrong, what can I do?

Thanks for answering, solving this issue

--
P.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:10 am 

I use 216.171.124.36.

Go to http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi and pick a server near you ... and report back :)

(The NL recommended one is shown as "All services busy, not recommended" at the above link.)

P.S.: Speaking of ... (again) ... this forum's time clock is now REALLY slow (behind) ! ( By my calculation 1 hour and 36 minutes. )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:06 am 

There is no server 'near', since I am - right now - located in The Netherlands.... But OK, I'll give it a try :-)
It is a pity that NL only accepts one numeric URL, and not capable of using the alpha-numeric pool address: 0.pool.ntp.org - for instance.

--
P.