NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 am 

Afternoon all,

i can vaguely remember reading on here whilst looking for something else that naslite supported software raid ? but i cannot find the post now :(

Not sure if i was reading a "request" post or not or whether it was in the pipeline can someone please advise

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:55 am 

my memory says no but i have not kept up with latest releases - i think Mike has said thats its in the pipeline for the next release - but i think we are waiting for that

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:26 am 

No, it does not.

As far as what is in the pipeline or not only Tony and Ralph can say. I think that they are maybe working on it but... It would be nice.

They have spent the last year going over and rewriting a large portion of the code NL runs on so what and when the next release will have and will be released is anybodies guess.

Maybe Tony or Ralph will weigh in on it?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:10 am 

thanks guys will wait and see what happens

steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:40 pm 

Your other option for now is a simple hardware RAID card like one from 3Ware, LSI, Promise, or Adaptech to name a few. These can be had for cheap and the performance is generally very good as is the reliability.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 am 

cheers mike i have a card that says press F3 to enter configure raid funtion when it boots up will have a go with it and see what happens ,

Having never done this before what happens with naslite if a drive start's to die ? how would i know ?

steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:19 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
...simple hardware RAID card like one from 3Ware, LSI, Promise, or Adaptech to name a few....

Hi Mike

Do you have any links on eBay (or elsewhere) so that we know what to search for ? There are plenty of RAID cards and some are quite expensive.

Regards

Robby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:03 pm 

this is one of the cards i have it works fine in jbod mode and is mirroring nightly ok

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221005017592? ... 1438.l2649

havent had a go with raid on it yet tho

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 pm 

Steve, the card you have there is not a hardware RAID controller. The SIL3124 is simply a 4 port SATA interface and the PEX8112 is a PCI to PCIe bridge chip. Any RAID functionality is in the driver software it's self and uses the actual processor for the workload. I suspect that you will not be able to get it to function an a RAID5 configuration under NL. Sorry.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 pm 

Robby, a simple search of Ebay with the string "3ware RAID card" will get you pages of them. Most are PCI/PCIX types but are really cheap too. Consider that you can get a 9550SXU-8LP SATA II 64Bit RAID Card PCI-X,8-Port,& battery/SATA Cable for only $45.00 plus shipping. This is an 8 port card with 128MB of cache, battery back, and cables. Really a fantastic deal to be honest. On a 64Bit bus I would be surprised if this thing couldn't sustain at least a few hundred MB/sec with fast drives. To put it another way, it will allow you to saturate the Ethernet port solid.

A search for LSI, or Adaptec, or Promise will yield similar results. With Adaptec and Promise though you will have to be careful since they make both types and are rather shy with clear info as to which is which.

Post here before buying a always.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:32 pm 

Thanks for the reply Mike,

Had a play with the card thats in my nas server i am a bit confused as you said that my card is not a hardware raid .

When i boot up i get a message to press F3 to enter raid config

On pressing F3 i get a menu with "create raid set " as an option

with the following options

RAID=0
RAID=5
RAID=10

Auto configure

If i choose a RAID function i get asked to choose the disk size from a drop down menu using up / down arrows

i am a bit lost as why you say that this wouldn't work as it appears to have some sort of raid BIOS on board i have a disk (somewhere may have chucked it) don't know what thats for or whats on it.

I know that you cannot install 3rd party drivers in naslite

a confused steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:43 pm 

been there and been disappointed - software raid uses the cpu and system memory as i understand it - hardware raid all works on the card - so what works in a windows or linux pc has no bearing on what works in naslite - it is as you say drivers and the ability of the software to work with the card - if thats not built into naslite then it simply will not work

find a couple of drives - add the card and the drives and try it - if mike is wrong - which i doubt - it will work - if not then thats it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:21 pm 

I have been wrong in the past and I will be in the future. Far as I can tell the interface chip used on there is a silicon image 4 port SATA to PCI. There is no RAID engine built in from the limited info provided on the web site. Silicon Image generally requires an NDA before they will give you detailed application data sheet access so I am somewhat in the dark here. As I said though the chip appears to not have a RAID engine. The other chip is a PCI to PCIe bridge so the card seems to be a kind of kludge to top it all off.

Go here for another post about the same chipset, the guy says the same thing I am, not hardware RAID.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267887-32-need-sil3124-raid-urgent

Hope this helps to clear it up for you.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:38 am 

ok guy's i might give it a go . . nowt to loose bit busy this week at work but will post what happens

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 am 

is this any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260741843796? ... 1438.l2649

steve