NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SATA III PCI-E card ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 pm 

Hi Mike

Probably a question for you, but others are welcomed to answer ;)

I have 3 x SATA 2 drives in my NL box (1 main and 2 backups). The hard drive is getting quite full. I had the idea of putting in a SATA 3 SSD hard drive but the MB is limited to SATA 2.

Do you know any PCI-E / Sata 3 cards that are compatible with NL ? Better still, a RAID card that can RAID the 3 old drives and have the SSD as main drive (connected as SATA III) (jup, I'm dreaming, but who knows ? ;) )

TIA and best regards.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 pm 

Well as far as the actual supported hardware goes, that is really Ralph or Tony that will be able to give a definitive answer to you on that.

Now on tho the SATA3 and RAID. All the SATA interface should be backwards compatible it they are SATA compliant. This also is supposed to work the other way as well with a SATA III drive dropping back to SATA I if need be. This is of course the theory of it, the reality may not be so clear cut...

As to a RAID card that you can hang the drive off of. I suspect that any of the RAID cards with SATA III are gonna be more than a little expensive. Also where the card may be able to handle the I/O of a card full of spinning drives it is likely to be brought to it's knees by just a few SSDs.

The reality of it is this, SATA III is really not much of a need considering the fact that most of the drives are not capable of filling the pipe, yes even SSDs. I would not be using an SSD array unless I were doing NLE and with even that the link, 1G Ethernet, is not up to the task. So it is a waste in my opinion.

I do know that Tony and Ralph have spent that last year updating the appliance software and are going to be coming out with some nice features and support for other interfaces in the future. I suspect that this will also include newer hardware support as well and maybe, FINALLY, software based RAID.

Hope the above helps,

Mike

Last edited by mikeiver1 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:05 am 

Thanks Mike.

As usual, a very complete and clear answer :) Reading your message, I think I may try to drop a SSD drive on the remaining SATA II connector of the MB and see what it gives. OTOH, I might just put a bigger HDD and keep the money for something more fun than SSD drives ;)

Regards.

Robby