NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:50 pm 

Howdy, I have a 3ware Escalade 9500S-4LP 4 Port SATA Raid PCI HW card that I'm using to serve up 2 1TB in a Raid-1 Mirror to NASLite. There is also a single 2 TB drive on this controller so 3 out of the 4 ports are being used.

I would like to MOVE away from the RAID controller card and just use the Mobo Onboard SATA controllers and just have 2 drives. Is there anyway to do this WITHOUT NASLite up and running and copying from a RAID Disk to a NON RAID disk?
ie: Can I just unplug the Drive from the RAID controller card and plug it into the MOBO? I have heard that the data is written to the disk in a proprietary format and so it would NOT be readable as a normal SATA drive. Can anyone confirm this?

So, again. I want to move my drives OFF of the SATA Raid controller Card and onto the MOBO's SATA ports and NOT have them be in a RAID enviornment anymore and of course do this WITHOUT loosing data. The 1TB drive is backed up to a External HDD, but the 2TB is NOT and I do not want to loose the data from there.

Thanks again in advance!
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:50 pm 

Anyone? Thanks.

Last edited by zyrabontia on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:36 pm 

The 2TB drive is simply an ext3 formatted volume so you should just be able to move it over and have it appear as normal. The mirror drives should be just that, EXT3 volumes with the same data set. Again you should be able to simply move them and they should work on the MB SATA controller. You can simply move them and see what happens. It will not mount the drive if I am wrong and nothing lost but a few minutes.

Mike