NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:01 pm 

Had a new license for Core 3, and installed on my "test jig" to perform the work. Now that I have these drives mounted in their final home...the older NAS2 doesn't see them? Newer load still sees them fine.

Have I missed something here? Had believed that any Linux could see these drives after they were formatted for advanced format? Is that not true?

What exactly are the "compatibility rules" if any?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Had a new license for Core 3, and installed on my "test jig" to perform the work. Now that I have these drives mounted in their final home...the older NAS2 doesn't see them? Newer load still sees them fine.

I'm not quite clear on this, you used a new version of NL to format drives and then put them in a old install of NL?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:36 pm 

Ralph wrote:
Quote:

I'm not quite clear on this, you used a new version of NL to format drives and then put them in a old install of NL?

Yes. Did all my work on the test jig for final assembly on the old terminator C3. The new naslite usb sees all drives. The old naslite usb sees none. Boots up - with no drives.

We own 9 licenses - so this one is confusing. Just never occurred to me old and new would not interoperate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Can you tell me the version of NASLite you used to format the drives, the version you put the drives into. And also what size the drives are?

As far as compatibility, NASLite-2 is completely backwards compatible with every earlier version of NL, regarding drives. Meaning, each successive version supports all previous versions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:54 pm 

Ralph wrote:
Can you tell me the version of NASLite you used to format the drives, the version you put the drives into. And also what size the drives are?

As far as compatibility, NASLite-2 is completely backwards compatible with every earlier version of NL, regarding drives. Meaning, each successive version supports all previous versions.

Attachments:
File comment: Hardware unchanged except switching out USB sticks.
OldvsNewVersionNasLite.zip [773.78 KiB]
Downloaded 1039 times

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

You're trying to use drives formatted with NL2 v2.66 and then put the drives in a NL2 v2.06 machine.

v2.06 doesn't support the GPT formatting of drives from v2.66.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:05 pm 

Ralph wrote:

Sent the screen prints within a different post.

Most of the work was done on an identical machine which was fitted with a quick swap drive cage. I usually use it and your newer NASlite to wring out any new drives I buy.

Perform a secure erase out of the box, then run the SMART system, then usually format with NAS Lite (new version)..finally taking the last reallocated sector count and affixing count to the unit with a sticker. Per Google's study - then pitch the drive when that count starts growing.

But this one here is new to me....Server works fine with your new NASlite - not at all with the old. Don't recall ever running into this before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 pm 

Ralph wrote:
You're trying to use drives formatted with NL2 v2.66 and then put the drives in a NL2 v2.06 machine.

v2.06 doesn't support the GPT formatting of drives from v2.66.

Well I guess that explains it. So to get out of this mess, I need to upgrade 7ea licenses?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:56 am 

i believe its allowed to run a licensed copy on a second machine for test purposes - so could you not do that with the 2.06 - you would not be running the second copy for anything other than setup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:16 am 

tony a wrote:
i believe its allowed to run a licensed copy on a second machine for test purposes - so could you not do that with the 2.06 - you would not be running the second copy for anything other than setup

But I'd still need large disk formatting capability...

Have licenses for all units, no "second copies", just not too rigid about swapping em around as work requires. Was not expecting this incompatibility tho - so must rethink this setup. These days, almost all our disks are advanced format.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:28 am 

tony a wrote:

Restating problem:

I'm perfectly happy with my old NAS lites. There is no reason for me to change except for assured compatibility with the new drives. So I'm asking - is there any means you could imagine where the old NAS lites could be efficiently used with the Advanced drive format?

(Shrugging) Have stacks of those drives formatted on the old system and all of em work. Pretty sure none are formatted correctly.