NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:31 pm 

I first bought Naslite seven or eight years ago and was used to a system where, every six months, your download link died and you had to pay $5 to "re-validate" the link.

It's actually been a couple of years since I re-validated (I gave up on Naslite for a while), but I decided this week to have another go, so I clicked my old link.

As expected, the link had expired, but there was no re-validation link. I visited the web site (which has also changed since I last visited), and when I input my email address into the "Retrieve Lost Link" page (as a test), it said my address was not recognised. Anyone else had a similar experience or can give me guidance? I did email support but I haven't heard back yet. However it is holiday season...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 pm 

They will respond and send you the link. Be sure and check that the response is not getting caught in your spam folder.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:03 am 

Thanks for the response, Mike. I'll just be patient, and keep an eye on my spam box.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

From the age of your original purchase and the last time you revalidated, I would assume you fall into 1.

Quote:
Download links are available to you for a maximum of 180 days from time of purchase, or for a total of 15 downloads. This download link contains an invalid order ID. There are only three possible reasons for that as follows:

1. Your download link is too old and therefore expired. Expired download links are automatically removed from the Server Elements download server. Expired download links cannot be used for free product downloads or upgrade discounts.
2. You are using an incorrect or incomplete download link. Please check your original Server Elements product download instructions to verify your download link.
3. Your order is on hold pending approval.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:09 pm 

Yes, I fall into "1", that's correct. But if I recall correctly, once your link becomes older than 180 days, you should be given a link to a "re-validation" page where you pay $5 to update your link? Is that incorrect?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
1. Your download link is too old and therefore expired. Expired download links are automatically removed from the Server Elements download server. Expired download links cannot be used for free product downloads or upgrade discounts.

So, if you hadn't revalidated it for almost 2 years, I would suspect it was removed from the system.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:10 pm 

Fair enough, if that's how it works. It's just that there's no explanation anywhere on your web site about how link re-validation does or does not work, or who is eligible. And I received no reply to my email to support. Does the link record get removed from the system after nine months? A year? A clear explanation would be good.

EDIT: According to my own records, I've re-validated four times over a seven-year period, each time using a re-validation link, so there was an average gap of more than a year. It seems the rules were changed somewhere along the way...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:51 am 

hmmmm - i also would like to update - i have done in the past for $5 - i seem to remember the link is not obvious - i have tried all the ways i can see but cannot get anywhere - i am outside the 180 days - but my understanding is that for the $5 i can update at any time - thats as it was when i purchased the software and have received nothing saying that has changed

can someone point me to the link please

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am 

tony a wrote:
but my understanding is that for the $5 i can update at any time - thats as it was when i purchased the software and have received nothing saying that has changed

That was my understanding too, thanks for adding your voice here -- I was beginning to think my memory must be suspect. Hopefully we'll get a definitive response soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:22 am 

have certainly done it in the past - as you say maybe its changed or maybe i cannot find it - i certainly remember it was not easy to find

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 am 

I think the process used to be as follows : when you used a "dead" link (older than 180 days) it took you to a page that contained a purchase button to enable re-validation of the link. Now, you get taken to a similar page (informing you that the link is dead) but missing the button to purchase re-validation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 am 

that sounds about as i remember it - hopefully Tony or Ralph will comment but it seems to take them a while these days - i guess this is not their main interest and are busy with life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

2 years on purchases not revalidated.

5 years on products no longer supported.

This applies to LINKS being removed from the system, there fore, not able to be revalidated.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm 

Ralph,

Those terms seem perfectly reasonable. Naslite is well-priced. I don't object to buying it at full price again.

However...this is the first time I've ever seen mention of the two-year limit. I can't find it on your web site. It's not in the Naslite licence. And I can't find it mentioned on these forums.

And I also think your response could have been a little more...customer friendly. Your post was terse to the point of being abrupt. I have been a customer for a while, re-validated my licence four times, taken part in these forums, and I have also enthusiastically spread the word about Naslite many times outside these forums. Presumably you'd rather I remain a customer. But it didn't sound like it.

PS: the only reason I stopped using Naslite in the first place was that at the time, I had the connection problems with Win7 SP1, and I couldn't find a workaround. So I moved to WHS. I noticed recently that you appeared to have addressed the Win7 issues in an update, so I thought I'd try Naslite again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:33 pm 

hmmmmmmmmm - well thats new and slipped in or i think it is - like the OP i have never seen that and i think i previously revalidated outside the 2 year limit - i also searched the forums - all 47 pages it high lighted on a search and no mention of a change or any reference to 2 years that i could find - would be interested if Ralph could point it out

yes the software is cheap and starting again is not going to break the bank but it would be nice to be told in advance and given the chance to update on the old deal