NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

I think the issue you guys are having is that NASLite-2 USB, CDD, HDD was discontinued 5 years ago, and those purchase links were removed from the system.

I'd be more than happy to address this further if someone with a NASLite-2 v2.10 (Which was essentially HDD,CDD,USB combined) , released Dec 02, 2008 has this issue.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:24 pm 

Ralph wrote:
I think the issue you guys are having is that NASLite-2 USB, CDD, HDD was discontinued 5 years ago, and those purchase links were removed from the system.

I'd be more than happy to address this further if someone with a NASLite-2 v2.10 (Which was essentially HDD,CDD,USB combined) , released Dec 02, 2008 has this issue.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand your post, Ralph. I made my first purchase of Naslite in 2005 (can't remember the version), and my last re-validation in 2010. The version I currently have a licence for is NASLite-2 v2.64.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi JDK,

Is your download link for a full purchase of NASLite-2 v2.10 or greater?

Please PM me the link if thats the case.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:06 pm 

Okay, I think I understand this now.

My original purchase was Naslite-1. I then purchased an upgrade to Naslite-2 in January 2007, which I re-validated a few times since. But because it's been five years since I originally bought Naslite-2, I lose my right to re-validate.

Again, if that's the case, fair enough. It's just that it's not written down anywhere on the web site, or in these forums.

Most software products have very clear rules and pricing for upgrading, which appear on the company web site. Maybe ServerElements can do the same? Otherwise it just looks as if you're making up the rules as you go along, and that will inevitably annoy customers.

Having said all that, I will buy a new licence. Naslite is a good product.

Last edited by jdk on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:02 am 

am tagging onto this thread - i have 2 licences - 1 - USB purchased in june 2007 and the other HDD purchased in Dec 2007 - i have over time re-validated at least twice - one of those was in nov 2009 when i paid $4.49

I am currently running naslite 2 - v2.62

not sure where that leaves me

tia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm 

is this forgotten - would appreciate some info

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:44 pm 

I gave up waiting for clarification and went ahead and bought a new licence. But I do feel very strongly that the upgrade rules should (a) be transparent and (b) should appear on the main web site. Customers deserve that at the very least.

Ralph's posting above remains the only place on the ServerElements web site where the upgrade conditions appear. And they're not particularly clear or comprehensive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:19 am 

some input would be good - maybe i should start a thread

Problems with mac this or apple the other - that always seems to get a quick answer :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty sure this was said earlier in the thread, but I'll try and reiterate Server Elements policy as far as product support goes as follows:

Product such as NASLite+, NASLite+ for USB, NASLite-2 CDD/USB/HDD are all products based on the 2.4 Linux kernel, and were EOL a LONG time ago - well over 5 years. The fact that we allowed folks to re-validate and access later products should not be mistaken for an ability to continue such access against EOL product purchases. Re-validating a link does not constitute a new product purchase, hence we should not be expected to provide access to current versions of NASLite-2 against a NASLite-2 CDD link that is 5 years old.

I hope you understand and respect our position.

Thank you for your support.

Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:41 pm 

Tony,

As I said before, it's a completely understandable and acceptable policy. I was happy to buy a new licence. It's just that the upgrade policy doesn't appear anywhere on the main web site. It only appears in this thread. From the customer's perspective, the ability to re-validate links just vanishes without prior explanation (i.e. the first time a user tries to re-validate more than five years after purchase).

You should explain your upgrade policy on the main web site.

John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hello John,

The upgrade is a function of product ownership, and as such is communicated to product owners via the facilities accessible through the purchase link. When you make a purchase, you are informed of the following:

This download link will be available to you for a maximum of 180 days from time of purchase, or for a total of 15 downloads. This download link will also serve as your upgrade path to [PRODUCT NAME GOES HERE] CD-ROM ISO Image updates and fixes. Should you have any questions or problems, please contact Server Elements at sales@serverelements.com.

The above would clearly state NASLite-2 CDD, USB or HDD and not NASLite-2 which is what has been available for sale over the last 5 years.

In addition, the page that you receive when clicking on an invalid link will provide a first possible explanation as follow:

1. Your download link is too old and therefore expired. Expired download links are automatically removed from the Server Elements download server. Expired download links cannot be used for free product downloads or upgrade discounts.

Which should sufficient to inform you that our commitment to support an old product is over.

Although, I do understand what you are saying John. I think that we may have contributed to the confusion by allowing folks to download the NASLite-2 product against a NASlite-2 HDD, CDD or USB purchase instead of keeping all those separate as originally intended.

At any rate, we'll try and do better in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:52 pm 

its a fair argument but it seems to me that its a bit one way - like many on here i try to help - but am now out of date with what is being purchased today so any help is limited - i have no problem paying the update $5 or whatever to keep up to date but buying a full licence simply for that is not really on - i have 2 working servers on old boards that work - i dont need a third licence - i do like to keep up to date so looked to get the latest release for that reason

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:46 pm 

Just found this thread.

Have experienced my own problems with NASlite 2 upgrades, have no need of any of the new features - so probably don't wish to try that path again.

Do however need advanced format drive support, and was hoping someone has evolved an easy fix for this issue. Specifically: Can one format the new drives *properly* and *routinely* without upgrading our old boxes?

Any tips would be appreciated.

And thanks for these posts. Realize now just how reckless it was not to image my usb sticks. With that validation gone - there is no way to recover if you don't have backups.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:46 pm 

The guys are very good about making sure you.can revalidate the liscense. There is no worry there.

Mile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:02 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
The guys are very good about making sure you.can revalidate the liscense. There is no worry there.

Mile

Thanks for your comment.

It was a worry - particularly in this era of "disposables" and manufacturer "dog ate my homework" schemes.

Finally understand I can't get off this treadmill until I switch to GPT partitions - so I bought 6ea licenses today :( Really wanted to keep that original Naslite simplicity - but guess it was not to be.

So my next question revolved around hassles with the old sticks - and you answered them. Can now spread that old software around to my boys and still be sure those licenses will be honored with their hardware.