NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 10 minutes to boot
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm 

Tony wrote:
Couple of suggestions as I've been unable to replicate the problem. Disable the Time Server (Option 7) in the network config. Save, and reboot to check if problem persists. If the problem is no longer present, then make sure you supply a time server that is accessible. You can also verify that synchronization takes place by using the status pages.

Hope that helps.

PS. Time server IPs can be found here: http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

OK !!! That MIGHT be it. For now I disabled it (0.0.0.0 from 129.6.15.28), saved the config and rebooted. Magically, it booted real fast (as expected). Over the next few days I'll try a few more times with it disabled. Eventually I'll try to find a faster responding Time Server. In the meantime, let's have some of the other "complainers" report success with this change ... :)

THANK YOU !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:13 pm 

Did a cold-boot this morning. Worked fine (fast). Still have not yet re-established a time server.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 am 

Tony wrote:
PS. Time server IPs can be found here: http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi
Looking at the above link, and in particular the comments in the right-most STATUS column revealing the standard servers in Gaithersburg, MD as being "All services busy, not recomended" (for 129.6.15.{28|29}) ... I picked one closer to me and the warm start (reboot) worked GREAT (fast) !

Suggestion: make this Server List a sticky, together with maybe a note in the documentation about the time server status link.

And maybe in the next update, rather than using IP address in the "Network Config"/"TimeServer" field ... follow this suggestion posted at the above link and allow the use of "time.nist.gov" as a suggested default:
Code:
The global address time.nist.gov is resolved to all of the server addresses below in a round-robin sequence to equalize the load across all of the servers.

Whether you connect to a server using the name or the IP address, it is a bad practice to “hard-code” a particular server name or address into a device so that these parameters cannot be changed by the end user if that becomes necessary at some future time.

Thank you, Tony !

:D