NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:48 am 

Greetings. 4 years no problems, but now it is time to upgrade / update. My servers boot using USB sticks - there are no floppy drives in any of my PCs - so, can someone guide me through the procedure, or point me to the instruction, to safely update / upgrade to 2.65 without losing my settings or data? In advance ... thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:18 am 

Hi

The jump is quite big (2.10 to 2.65), I'm not sure if the update will work without loosing your settings. Copy all your setting (on a sheet of paper or file) just to be on the safe side. In any case, you will not loose any data on the hard drives (unless you choose to do a clean install on a hard drive)

Find or request your D/L link. Pay a very small fee to have a valid D/L link. D/L and burn the ISO file to a CD. Boot from the CD on the NL machine (or on any other machine but don't forget to plug the USB stick before booting). Choose option upgrade from the list. Follow the instructions (be sure to choose the good destination drive!) and let the software do its magic ;).

Boot from the USB stick. Check settings and see if it worked ;)

Robby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:50 am 

Robby ... thanks for the reply. It has been so long since I did an upgrade, but your note reminded me of the proper procedure. Wasn't thee a "trick" to save your settings? I recall something like; 1. boot the server as normal, 2. pull out the USB stick, 3. perform the upgrade, 4. re-insert the upgraded USB stick in the running server, 5. save the configuration settings, 7. re-boot. Seemed that or something like it used to work to preserve all settings. I wonder if it still does?
Anyway ... again, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 am 

No. You cannot boot on the new version if you don't have the new version and the config file to boot from. If you boot from the old version and upgrade the boot media on another computer and put it back on the "old" NL version and save the settings, you are sure to *uck up everything :)

What you are describing would be valid if you want to have another USB key (like a backup) with the same NL version and same config file.

As always, make it as simple as possible, don't try fancy things with computer data except if you have very recent back-ups and plenty of time to restore them ;)

Robby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:55 am 

Got it ... I won't be trying any "tricks" or shortcuts ... thanks for the help.