NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:03 am 

I am running Naslite 2 HDD version 2.0.6 dated 10-2007 according to my telnet screen. My server has been rock solid until some recent thunderstorms cause a power outage. I could not get home to shut the server down before the battery backup died.

I am running the OS on a CF card, with a separate HD for data. I have some sort of corruption issue as the data disk cannot be mounted. I am currently running the Scan and Repair and praying for success. so I have a couple of questions:

1) If the scan and repair does not work, and I still cannot mount the drive, what are my options for data recovery? Can I stick another HD in and try to mirror the drive to the new one? Is there another way to recover the data?

2) As stated above, my version is quite old. I looked at the version history and the comments are not clear on exactly what has been updated. "Perform some minor architecture optimizations" and "Perform general code cleanup" don't really tell me if it is worth the upgrade. I am from the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it crowd." But obviously it is broke. So is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks in advance,
Brent Blevins

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:39 am 

Hi

If the repair doesn't work, you may try to boot on a RIP CD (RIP = recovery is possible) or an Ubuntu CD and try to check and repair the HD again.

If you cannot mount the drive, you cannot mirror from it.

Many small corrections have been added but if you are running an updated Windows machine, you'll need to update NL in order to be able to connect to it (Microsoft changed things)

Robby

Last edited by robrub on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:54 am 

give it time - it will probably sort itself out - depending on how big the data drive is it could take quite a while - dont despair if it comes back with an error or does not complete - the amount of memory you have in the machine is a big factor for that - so if it does not complete add some ram and start again

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:19 pm 

So what exactly does this mean?

e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Killed

You must reboot NASLite-2 HDD to mount Disk-1.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:20 pm 

Just guessing so I may be wrong... I think that NL had a problem and did not finish the check & repair. I'd guess a "not enough memory" problem.

How much RAM do you have and what is the size of the hard drive ?

Robby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

bblevins wrote:
So what exactly does this mean?

e2fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Killed

You must reboot NASLite-2 HDD to mount Disk-1.

robrub is right...

Kernel will kill all processes that encroach on it, so RAM is the first problem I'd address. How much RAM do you have and how big is the drive you are repairing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 pm 

When I saw Rob's post I took the case apart because I was not sure how much RAM I had. Turns out, I had 128mb of Ram and the HD is 640 GB. I took apart another old computer and scrounged up 512mb. Installed it and re-ran the check and repair utility.

It worked, I am back in business again. Thanks for the tip guys. I still don't know if I really "need" to upgrade my NasLite version. Still on the fence there...

As a side note, I downloaded Ubuntu on two different computers and installed it on two different CD ROMs. Neither would boot, so I am glad that the increased RAM did the trick!

Brent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:44 am 

bblevins wrote:
When I saw Rob's post ... scrounged up 512mb.... It worked, ...I still don't know if I really "need" to upgrade my NasLite version.
Happy to be useful ;)

As for the update, a lot of people had connection problems as Windows changed things. If your Windows are up to date, you may have problems connecting to the NL box (mapped drives, waking from hibernation and not seeing the NL box etc). For less then $5, I'd go for it ;)

Robby