NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm 

We have several XP computers that can suddenly not connect to our NAS. We have been using the same NAS for at least 2 years without a hiccup until today. It is running 2.6.30.3.CORE3

We have rebooted the server and rebooted the XPs.

If we try to remap a drive we get this error:
\\Server is not accectable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

If we try to use the IP address, the error is just the:
The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

We have new Windows 7 computers that have dropped the connection, but changed to using the IP address and can get them connected.

We have Macs that have not had an issue connecting (yet!)

We have two other NAS running older versions of NASLite-2 that show the same errors. Again, we could connect to them until today week.

I am suspecting a Windows update has caused the problem, but do not know of a work-around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 pm 

I am also suffering from the same problem. Last night a Windows update happened and caused 1 PC to not be able to connect to the NAS shares.

A couple of the XP machines had not received their auto updates and could still connect fine, as well as an old Win 2000 machine. Its definitely to do with the Windows update as when I manually ran windows update on one of the unaffected machines, it then caused it to do the same thing.

I was thinking it was perhaps an older version I am using v2.10 12-2008 but it seems you are having the same issues.

Everything Pings, the NAS webpages are accessible. The server shows up under workgroup computers but when you select, the same error message happens.

It appears there was an update to do with windows SMB so maybe that has broken things. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:34 am 

Have another XP that cannot connect this morning. This is bringing my entire network down.
We use NAS extensively as a file server in our office.

We did a system restore on one computer yesterday and was able to connect. Will look at the latest Windows updates that were installed and remove them to see if we can get back working.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:51 am 

I just removed update KB2536276 and that seemed to solve the issue.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 1-043.mspx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:32 am 

Well, removing the Windows update is a workaround, not a solution.
How can this be solved on the NAS-level?

It seems to require a small modification of the samba config file by adding the line
"encrypt passwords = Yes"
in smb.conf
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/why-is-update-kb2536276-causing-a-block-in/4b3536b7-b6b4-43fc-a973-c75ea478c7ca?tm=1308409382437&page=1

but how to do that on the locked-down NASLite?

/gustav

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Microsoft was pretty sneaky with this one. The update summary has no information on what actually was done, so making an intelligent decision not to install KB2536276 is practically impossible.

We are working to resolve this issue. Please expect an update in the next few days. Meanwhile, we advise that you temporarily back out KB2536276 to restore SMB/CIFS access to your NAS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:13 am 

Hmmmm,

I realize the products are old, but is there any hope for a workaround for NASLite or NANONas with this issue?

I am using NASLITE, but would update to NanoNas in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:22 am 

As announced on the forum, the latest version of NL is available and (I have tried it) is working great with WP Pro SP3 with ALL the security patches installed.

Robby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:45 am 

Yes but this is NASLITE-2 that was updated. Not NASLITE 1.x

Honestly I don't really expect them to patch an obsolete product, just wondering if there were any workarounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:22 am 

Tony wrote:
Microsoft was pretty sneaky with this one. The update summary has no information on what actually was done, so making an intelligent decision not to install KB2536276 is practically impossible.

We are working to resolve this issue. Please expect an update in the next few days. Meanwhile, we advise that you temporarily back out KB2536276 to restore SMB/CIFS access to your NAS.

Thanks a lot for the quick update.
However, I'm a little bit annoyed that I've to pay 5$ for what I'd call a bugfix....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:16 am 

That was my first thought too. But then I remembered the initial cost of the software and the value I have gotten from it. So much better for my needs than an expensive Winblows server.
If the $5 help keeps Server Elements going, then it is a small price to pay.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hello keks

keks wrote:
However, I'm a little bit annoyed that I've to pay 5$ for what I'd call a bugfix....

Having a defect in NASLite-2, I'd consider a bug. Change of direction by Microsoft, where Microsoft disables a supported functionality of their client, is NOT a bug in NASLite-2.

Microsoft controls the capabilities of their OS. We do our best to support those capabilities within the context of NASLite-2. All we are doing with this release is responding to a rule change by Microsoft. One always has the option to back out KB2536276.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Recluse wrote:
Hmmmm,

I realize the products are old, but is there any hope for a workaround for NASLite or NANONas with this issue?

I am using NASLITE, but would update to NanoNas in a heartbeat.

We are working on updating NanoNAS addressing this and some other items. The original NASLite floppies however are no longer supported.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:16 pm 

Tony wrote:

We are working on updating NanoNAS addressing this and some other items. The original NASLite floppies however are no longer supported.

Tony

Great news! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 am 

Tony wrote:
...Change of direction by Microsoft, where Microsoft disables a supported functionality of their client, is NOT a bug in NASLite-2.

Hi Tony. Yes, I guess you're right... I spent the 5$ already ... :)