NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:31 am 

Hi

This is not a direct NASLite problem but you may (I hope) help. I'm a very happy user of NL for years in my dental office (The most stable piece of software I've used and I'm in computers since 1979...).

First th structure: The office lan is with 3 XP Pro SP3 computers and a lan laser printer on gigabit cables. All turned off each night and booted every morning. NL is on the 4th computer and runs 24/24 & 5 days a week. All these connect to each other OK.

The problem is with my laptop: It is connected via WiFi to the lan and to NL. This laptop comes and goes between home (wifi connection too). It is under Win7 x64. Since I passed to SP1, the laptop refuses to connect to NL when I wake it up from hibernation at the office. I have to close the session and start the session in order to be able to connect to the NL box.

The connection to the WiFi is working and I think (I didn't check it out lately) that the laptop can connect to the other XP computers.

Any ideas where I can look for ?

TIA and best regards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:07 am 

hmmmmm - pass - sort of - dont use the server that much - its there as a main backup so only powers up as and when - not used it since i installed sp1

just powered it up and all is fine - running 7 ultimate 64 bit on a dell laptop - netgear gigabit router with N wifi - not much help apart from a confirmation it works on at least one setup

could it be firewall problems - i run windows security as an AV and that pretty well sorts itself out

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:27 pm 

Can't offer a solution, I'm afraid. What I can say is that I'm having exactly the same problem, and if you Google, you can see we are not alone. It's a Win7 problem with network shares. Some detail:

Like the OP I have had a network running flawlessly for years, with a few XP clients using the NASLite server. I recently added a Win7 (x64) box, but that randomly drops the NASLite shares.

It goes like this: everything is fine when I boot the Win7 box. All shares are available. But after a random period of time, the shares will drop, and the shares are covered with big red "x"s in Windows Explorer. Clicking on the shares brings the following error:

"An error occurred while reconnecting X: to \\NETWORKSHARE. Microsoft Windows Network: The local device is already in use. The connection has not been restored."

I can still ping the NASLite box from the Win7 box, and I can access the status pages via http. The XP boxes continue to access the NASLite box without any difficulty 24/7.

I've been looking into this for some time, and judging by the number of threads I've come across, many people seem to be having this problem with Win7 - shares dropping randomly, and failing to reconnect. For the record, I've tried many of the suggestions made elsewhere, including:

Change authentication settings:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel = 1

Disable server disconnect:
net config server /autodisconnect:-1

set the following to disabled in network adapter:
    Large Send Offload (IPv4)
    Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4)
    TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
    TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6)

None of the above worked. Below is the output from net use on my Win7 box once the shares vanish:

Code:
Status       Local     Remote                    Network
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unavailable  M:        \\192.168.0.25\Disk-2    Microsoft Windows Network
Unavailable  N:        \\192.168.0.25\Disk-3    Microsoft Windows Network
Unavailable  S:        \\192.168.0.25\Disk-4    Microsoft Windows Network
Unavailable  T:        \\192.168.0.25\Disk-0    Microsoft Windows Network
Unavailable  U:        \\192.168.0.25\Disk-1    Microsoft Windows Network

This has been happening since before Win7 SP1. All my connections are wired, no wifi. I've run out of ideas. I now know that when I switch on my Win7 box, I have about 30-60 minutes to access my NASLite shares before they vanish and I have to reboot. It's bizarre. I'm guessing it can't be a universal problem for Win7 users, though, otherwise there'd be riots on the streets.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:37 pm 

I am on Win7-Pro(64). Other than losing the connection when I come out of sleep mode (and a pop-up to that effect) ... really no troubles. I do make sure that I use an IP address in Windows Explorer when I map the network drive. (For example: "\\192.168.1.24\Shares")

And I have my Workgroup match on all systems (still a couple of WinXPs); On Win7 do it here: "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 pm 

Thanks for the response, Georg. Hope the OP doesn't mind me responding in this thread, but it does look as if we have the same problem. Yes, I too use IP addresses to map drives, to rule out network share name issues, and I've made sure the workgroup name matches across all systems. But it is worth mentioning these things. I'm still hoping I've missed something simple, but I fear not...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:09 am 

Hi,

I tested things again this morning. I stopped everything (router, switch etc). Started router, switch, then NL, computers 1, 2 & 3, the Lan printer and "de-hybernated" Win7 laptop. The laptop sees all 3 computers and the printer but NOT the NL server. I doesn't see it using the LAN (\\SERVEUR) or the connected drive letter to disk-0 (R:).

.../...

More testing... If I mark \\SERVEUR , Win7 doesn't find the NL server but if I write \\192.168.x.xx (the IP of the server) then the server is found and the disks accessible. Once the server is "found" with the IP, if I try with the name, it still doesn't connect.

The question is where in *ell does the LAN keep the IP = Name tables ?

Robby

Last edited by robrub on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:11 am 

jdk wrote:
Thanks for the response, Georg. Hope the OP doesn't mind me responding in this thread, but it does look as if we have the same problem. Yes, I too use IP addresses to map drives, to rule out network share name issues, and I've made sure the workgroup name matches across all systems. But it is worth mentioning these things. I'm still hoping I've missed something simple, but I fear not...

Just my thoughts on this I use several Win7 machines and dont get this problem at I do however use Static IP's for all of them and dont rely on the Router DHCP.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 am 

dougal1957 wrote:
Just my thoughts on this I use several Win7 machines and dont get this problem at I do however use Static IP's for all of them and dont rely on the Router DHCP.

Doug

Me too. Except for "guest" that may come to my house, but they don't get to access the NL anyway so it makes no difference. All other "personal" (household owned) PCs are static IP.

(Sorry ... I should have mentioned that before in my post above.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:36 am 

More update...

I programmed the connection to the NL server with the IP address of the box (R: => \\192.168.X.XX\Disk-0\Partage). The laptop when on hibernation last night and this morning, no connection possible to R: or to \\192.168.X.XX :(

I can connect to the other XP computers. So there is something special with the way NL and Win7 react.

Robby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 am 

I've been looking into this for a long time now, and I'm not sure there is a solution, I think it is just a Win7x64 networking bug introduced by a Windows update, probably one that only affects certain chips/NICs, which is why it's so difficult to pin down.

There are many, many forum threads out there (here is one example) where people have tried and failed to find an answer (and as you've already discovered, the solution offered in that thread is not a solution at all).

In my case, the Win7 system going to sleep will always cause the problem (i.e. no connection to shares when it wakes), but it also seems to happen at other times as well.