NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:06 am 

Many of us have been using these things for years, but upgrades always seem to extend past all memory of setup problems. The nature of the beast methinks.

That's why it would be *so* useful if the manufacturer anticipated expansion issues such as the need to retain userid 98 and groupid 98 when directly copying to new disks. A simple NASlite livecd maintenance tool would do it.

Boot the CD, then just drag and drop between disks (old and new).

Yes, have just received my permissions kicking after moving all those disks with a standard puppy live CD. Have only 4TB more to go (rolling eyes).... Puppy made it soooo easy to screw this up. Fast, easy, mounting of the piles of drives transferred. Too bad it didn't work :)

Why should server elements consider something like this? Does it make *more* sense to turn every purchaser into a linux guru? Or is that something more efficiently handled by those who can probably compile in their sleep?

Prospects buy these these licenses as a cheat. It's faster/more efficient to pay than it would be to learn/debug/develop. Good trade. Time for cash.

*Guarantee* other customers will face this problem with the current street price of 2TB fixed firmly at $85. And once you get to such sizes, underpowered hardware lacking gigabit makes that disk to disk transfer real attractive (if dangerous).

I mean...how could your company add the godzillion protocols you now support without coming up with something for your more knuckle dragging customers who faithfully avoided any hardware "not simple CIFS"? It must have been very difficult to shoehorn all that stuff in. But NASlite "scent marking" a standard livecd with your assigned permission data is not in the queue? Geesh.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:27 pm 

well for the simple minded - thats me - i am not 100% sure what your point is - if its what i think then use a ubuntu live cd to transfer the data and then go into permissions and set them by file or by directory to what Naslite demands - its not foolproof - i can confirm that :( but after a few experiments its easy enough

if i miss you point then ignore the above :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:06 pm 

tony a wrote:
well for the simple minded - thats me - i am not 100% sure what your point is - if its what i think then use a ubuntu live cd to transfer the data and then go into permissions and set them by file or by directory to what Naslite demands - its not foolproof - i can confirm that :( but after a few experiments its easy enough

Ubuntu won't boot on this machine, believe it lacks the cmov(?) function (Terminator C3). And looking around the forum, as "simple minded" as you may believe you are - we've got ya beat :)

A simple, *foolproof* way to do this would be useful....and I kinda understand why you would never wish to include such functions within the actual boot stick.

The problem exists, and anyone taking shortcuts while expanding their system is liable to run into these gotchas.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:07 pm 

tony a wrote:

Look at it as a tire changing jack and lug wrench.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:19 pm 

then pull the drive from the Naslite box and add it to a machine that will boot from ubuntu - i prefer that method as

1 - its safer - you are working with that drive only

2 - its faster as you are doing direct copy on the machine rather than across a network

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 pm 

I understand, I think, what you would like to see from Tony and Ralph.

You are looking for a migration tool to use when you are migrating data from one drive to another and keeps permissions and dates intact as they were on the old drive. This would be a simple script, not that I know how to go about this, but....

I would think that that sort of thing is kind of out of the purview of them. I agree it would be a nice little thing to have though.

Mike