NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:40 am 

does NG now work ok with Windows 7 - certainly in the early days of 7 it had problems as i remember - it was that that caused me to look at alternatives - i found Acronis

http://www.acronis.com/

for me its far better - horses for courses i know - but it works well and is easy to use over a network - something i never seemed to get right with NG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:48 am 

One major problem with Acronis True Image is that the Nonstop Backup feature does not work with networked drives. That rules out saving this type of backup to NL. By comparison, Genie Timeline can save to networked drives, so I bought GT rather than ATI.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:45 pm 

I've used NG with little problems on Win7 now for almost a year. I don't do anything fancy, just interested in having a reliable backup so that I can recover some (pilot error) lost files or an entire partition (roll-back to an earlier OS setup without using Windows Restore or disaster recovery). I save the NG images on a second local HDD, later copy them for redundancy to NL machine.

The compression discussion: true NG may not compress everything, and this would result in larger images, but it still does reliably back up the files into the image.

One annoyance I have with NG (this seemed to have been much less of an issue under WinXP): apparently because of how Win7 handles the file system a HUGE amount of sectors change on a daily basis, even if you don't change personal data on the OS partition, and even with browser cache on a different partition. This effect causes NG to create HUGE daily incremental images (average 500MB/day!). Not too bad a problem except for disk space required for the images. Incremental images on partitions with very limited data changes average 300KB/day; those with browser cache & email & daily work stuff: anywhere between 30-80MB/day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:49 am 

DeafCat wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation, yes other machines are XP.

As I seem to be having problems with robocopy somehow not being able to delete extra files on my nas when mirroring, do you know of any other back up program that maybe able to do the job with out me having to know too much, and yet also get rid of the recycler and system volume information at the same time?

This question was from quite a while ago, but maybe someone else is looking for the same solution. I recently deployed GoodSync and I am very, very happy with that tool. It handles syncs left-right/right left and backups left-right/right left beautifully, and fast. The UI is very comprehensive (there's even an Amazon S3 link, next to Local, LocalNet SMB, FTP, WebDAV, SFTP and Win Mobile links) and you can include and exclude anything you want, either through different tasks, or through browsing in the same task.
Automation (attended and unattended) is simple and works flawless.

Hope this helps.

PieterB