NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:44 am 

I'm unfamiliar with this software so excuse me :)
Am I able to grow the server size over time or will I need to build the system how I want it and never change the hdd capacity?
Thats one thing that turned me away from FreeNas, so im hoping this will allow that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:56 am 

You can add drives (or remove them) at will - the software renders the hardware at every boot and will accommodate new drives with ease. It will not tell you of any changes to hardware (unless you need to unlock again).

I will, for example, be adding a 4x2TB RAID5 in January (5.4TiB expected formatted capacity) and do not expect to have any issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:06 pm 

GarrettC wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with this software so excuse me :)
Am I able to grow the server size over time or will I need to build the system how I want it and never change the hdd capacity?
Thats one thing that turned me away from FreeNas, so im hoping this will allow that.

Within limits yes. Biggest constraints are your cabinet size and disk controller....and ethernet speed to a lesser extent.

Example: We own 7ea of the old low power terminator C3s. All started out as 4drive X 250GB PATA ea. As time went on, we upgraded the PATA drives to larger units (depending on sales), then eventually were forced to move on to Sata drives and new 4 channel disk controllers. None of this was onerous beyond the hassle of replacing the drives - but our case and disk controller limits us to 4 drives. I'm working on a 4ea X 2TB unit right now.

Don't know what the upper limit for drives is with the software, but a good guess is that it's at least 64ea. Know of any cabinets that large?

Hope this answers your concern. Am pretty sure whatever you're contemplating is light years beyond our "cheapo" setup :)
Your motherboard may even handle those large sata drives natively.