NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Display of status pages
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:56 pm 

A small but annoying problem -- since building a new server, my status pages display incorrectly. The server is operating well in all other respects. All the information is there in the pages, it's just the display is messed up, as if the underlying html is incorrect. It's easier to show the problem, I've put a sample page here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13895942/server.html.

Rebooting doesn't help, and I've tried different browsers and that doesn't help either. First time this has happened. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:19 pm 

OS, Browser, etc...?

Does this issue come up with other browsers?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:43 pm 

Thanks for the response, Mike. I've tried different browsers (and different computers), without success. But in all the years I've been using NASLite I've never had a problem with status page display before, so I figure it has to be something at the server end. Can't imagine what it would be though.

I have just had a look at the page source, and it does look odd. For example the gibberish that appears at the top of the status page does actually appear in the source before the DOCTYPE tag. First few lines:
Code:
Е#“ Ï0kR•�E� øY@�@��À¨úÀ¨ �P/-doTrJìP „\��HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: webfs/1.21
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Length: 14885
Last-Modified: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:48:35 GMT
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 22:54:01 GMT

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>

<HEAD>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!--
td{font-family:verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px;}
a{text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold;}
a:hover{text-decoration:none; color:#0099CC;}
#SEButton a{display: block;}
#SEButton a:hover{background: url(../img/mhbkg.jpg);}
//-->
</STYLE>
<TITLE>NASLite-2 (NAS) Server Status</TITLE>
</HEAD>

So the browser is accurately showing the page. It the HTML code that's odd, and it's the same for all the status pages...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:50 pm 

a new server - does that mean a new install of naslite - if so could it be corrupt - try a new install maybe from a new download of the software

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:30 pm 

Thanks for the help, Tony. Okay, I have been playing around, and I promise I am not making this up:

This evening I recalled that the corrupted status page display only started after I made a change to the server.

Because of previous difficulties with built-in LAN chips, I didn't even try the chip on my new (ASUS) board. I just installed an Intel LAN card.

But curiosity got the better of me (as it always does) and I removed the Intel card to test the built-in (Atheros) LAN chipset. It was recognized and worked well, zero errors, and actually steadier and higher speed than the Intel card.

But the page status display errors only started after removing the Intel card. So I put in back in -- and the status page display was perfect again.

I have now repeated this procedure three times. Using the built-in LAN chipset leads to status page display errors. How could that happen?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:06 am 

beats me - wheres mike he may know - but for the cost of a network card leave it in there - you can use either one

just put it down to - dont know - dont care :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:48 am 

Yes, I've left the network card in the server now, but it was such an unusual and bizarre problem, I thought it was worth a mention here (just in case anyone can offer an explanation).