NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:29 pm 

I have a 3Ware RAID card which was Disk-0 on my old version of NAS-Lite 2.06. Disk-1 was a drive connected to the mother board controller. I upgraded to 2.6 and they are now reversed. I have tried only connecting the 3Ware drives and starting NL and they show as Disk-0 since there is only one disk. I have saved settings and then shutdown, reconnected the drive on the motherboard and it returns as Disk-0.
Tried installing NL on another fresh USB drive, but did not make any difference.

The problem is that I have several files which include links based on being on Disk-1 rather than Disk-0.
I have set the BIOS so that the boot order is USB, Add-on Cards and then onboard controller. That has not made a difference.
I have also set the BIOS so that only the USB device is bootable. Again, no difference.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I could reformat the drive that is on the motherboard if necessary if that would make a difference. (would not want to if it would not make a difference.

Thanks,
Rick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 am 

Hi Rick

NL "distributes" drive numbers in the order it looks for them and sees them. I suppose the change in Kernel is the reason why your drives 0 & 1 changed places.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that you cannot change the order of your hard drives WITHOUT changing their physical connection types. If you have a an external USB disk drive, try to disconnect the drive attached to the MB and plug in the USB drive. Boot NL and see the drive numbers. If this solves your problem, you can try to put the disconnected drive in a USB hard drive box and connect it to the NL server this way.

It may be easier to change your links to these drives instead of changing the drive' connections ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:48 am 

Robby,

Will take a look at the USB option. The drive connected to the motherboard is for a backup. I have two drives connected to the 3Ware as a mirror and wanted to keep the mirror as the primary drive.
May look at putting the second disk on the 3Ware, but don't know what ports have the mirror and if that will make a difference in the load order.

Thanks,
Rick