NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disk checking too much?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:09 pm 

I've setup a NASLite server to backup a Windows Home Server every night. It has 1x 1TB drive and 4x 1.5TB drives. The plan is to use WOL to wake it up in the middle of the night, use RoboCopy to copy the data over, and then shut it down through a vbs script. I have the scripts working great now but I'm finding that after about 5 reboots or so 1 of the drives goes through a full check which takes over an hour. Then on the next reboot, another drive wants to go through a full check, and so on. Isn't this a bit excessive? I thought it wouldn't do a full drive check until after 180 or so boot cycles.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:52 am 

it can happen - i think the later versions of naslite set it at 180 - earlier ones were different - i thought 20 or 25 but even that can be excessive

you can set it manually - you need a linux distro and then set it for each drive via the command line - its well documented on here - try a search

you need to set each drive to check at a different time

you can turn it off all together but the experts here say thats a bad idea :|

join those of us who would like it at shutdown - again - talked to death here and never resolved

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:13 pm 

The 180 refers to #days, not #boots. 20-25, and I have seen 35, refers to #of mounts (=boots, normally).

As suggested, try a live linux distro and set to the desired interval manually amongst all the disks.

It is possible that when the shutdown occurs, there are still some files open from the client (Windows) side. This will result in an "unclean" shutdown and would be the cause for a diskcheck on next boot. I don't have a simple advice to avoid that; you would need to find out the source of the file locking/open file on the Windows side.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 am 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I used a rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org) to boot the machine and run tunefs. The max mount count was set between 21 and 39. I was duty testing my script so the drive set at 21 seemed like it always wanted to perform the disk check. I've set the drives from 200 to 220 max mount count in intervals of 5.