NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:14 pm 

Hello folks,

So I have had no issues in getting the DAAP server to show up in my iTunes however, when I attach my Apple TV to the same subnet, the shared library is not visible on the new 2010 edition of Apple TV.

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 pm 

DAAP is for audio and not really for video. Add to it the fact that Apple does their best to make sure you have to use their hardware/software that it makes for buggy things happening. Ralph uses Macs for development of NL so he will likely have a more detailed answer.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:37 pm 

Thanks Mike,

I considered a protocol limitation but I'm not really sure this is the case. From the specs I have found to date, DAAP really apperas to be nothing more than a method to exchange library and playlist information. It also appears to be at least loosely based on HTTP so being able to at least see the library should not be an issue. It is clear DAAP started out being used for pretty much audio only libraries but since it's inception a few years back, video straming has exploded so I suspect they use the same protocol to have the clients learn about video information as well.

I do agree whole heartedly though on the proprietary aspect of Apple so that's probably where the true issue lies. If so, then I may be forced to move away from SE at least for this and build a Mac Mini or Xserve for my complete media SAN at which point I would be indeed bummed...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:08 pm 

Well, if you did build an Xserver on a Mac you could simply use NL to export the FS under an NFS share. In fact I would be using NFS for the exports to a Mac anyway and in fact that is what I did for the GFs MacBook pro. SMB is a pain with Macs from what I have experienced. NFS was not so much and is faster as well.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:13 am 

Hi Mike,

From a file perspective, I would probably just use native AFP since my environment is primarily Macs and have no need for Windows to have file or share access to the server. For the iTunes stuff, it would still be Apple complaint DAAP\DMAP so the libraries would be good to go.

But your point is noted - is someone wanted to achieve a centralized shared librared store AND have Windows access to file shares, then they would need to setup extra file protocols.