NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:18 am 

The question to the point is there any method to recover files from a naslite v2.62 formated hard drive?

Here's the longer story of what I did. I was adding another drive to my server, I plugged it in, booted it up I went to the drive that was not formated it was the right size and brand so I formated it. Rebooted, but all the drives were not showing up in the list. I shut it down did some checking and found my jumper now the new drive was set for single and the other drive was set to master. I corrected that and when the system was booted up all the drives were in the list. I logged into the browser for the status of the hard drives and saw that I had two drives with 100 % free space and it should have been just one. I shut it down and pulled the drive that had data on it so no thing could be written to it. Which brings me to the question above.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:53 pm 

maybe - firstly do not write anything else to the drive - then search google for file recovery programs for ext3 drives - that will mean booting a system with a linux distro and seeing what luck you have

there are undelete programs for windows - dont know if they will be any good

others here may have more idea - but the key thing at the moment is keep the drive safe and write nothing to it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:57 pm 

Sorry to hear that you did that to your self. Great advice from tony a, follow it.

First off, SHUT DOWN THE NAS AND REMOVE THE DRIVE YOU AUGURED IN SO YOU DO NOT DESTROY ANY MORE DATA ON IT THAN YOU LIKELY HAVE ALREADY.

There are recovery tools out there that say that they can recover formatted volumes or partitions in Linux as you have done. I simple Google search should bring up a number of them for you. Prices are reasonable considering the alternatives.

Speaking of alternatives, if the data is REALLLLLLLY important then I would recommend that you properly box up the drive and send it to one of the professional data recovery services. The cost is not cheap but then again, neither is loosing critical data.

A number of things come to mind.

Backups are said to be a good thing.

Mirrors are the next best thing.

Do as I do when adding a new drive to prevent this in the future. Bring down the NAS, pull the interface cables to the existing data drives and install the new one. Reboot the NAS and format as normal using NASLite. Shut down, blow out all the dust, reconnect the interface cables to the drives and reboot.

Good luck with your issue.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:02 am 

Hi I have done the same in the past it's really annoying.

I have had success in recovering partitions/data after formatting using testdisk it
is available on the bootable linux rescue cd at http://www.sysresccd.org/

It's an excellent free product and pretty straight forward to use.

Hope it helps, good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:26 am 

Thanks for the boot cd info I'll give that a try. This is a first for me with two drives formated at the same time. This was drive 8 in my server. There probably is not anything of great concern lost but I don't remember and that will be the bad part. If I knew exactly what was gone would be better. Thanks again.