NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RAID Setup Question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:23 pm 

I started working for a photography company as their IT person, and this is my first time working with NASLite. The version we currently have is (NASLite-2 USB v2.04 02-2007).

We recently purchased 4 x 2TB drives for replacement in our storage server, and I have no idea how to go about replacing, and setting up the proper RAID configuration.

We're looking for a total combined storage space of 4TB. What would be the best RAID configuration for our picture storage server to equal that 4TB?

0+1?
1+0?

And how would I go about setting this up, step-by-step, with NASLite?

Post subject: Re: RAID Setup Question
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:38 pm 

Raid 10 is usually the bast way.

To make this happen you are going to have to have one of the later versions of NL that has support of the newer RAID cards. You must also have a hardware RAID card. This is not to be confused with the likes of RAID on the motherboard, it will not function in any NL distro at present. These are software based solutions and so will not work.

Allot of the 3ware cards are good as are the LSI and some of the Adaptec cards. There are allot of cards supported to be honest, but you must have a hardware based RAID card.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:13 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Raid 10 is usually the bast way.

To make this happen you are going to have to have one of the later versions of NL that has support of the newer RAID cards. You must also have a hardware RAID card. This is not to be confused with the likes of RAID on the motherboard, it will not function in any NL distro at present. These are software based solutions and so will not work.

Allot of the 3ware cards are good as are the LSI and some of the Adaptec cards. There are allot of cards supported to be honest, but you must have a hardware based RAID card.

Mike

If NL requires a hardware raid card, then I think we already have one as the present storage server is running a mirrored 1TB array on the version of NL we have. Would my assumption be correct?

You said something about upgrading NL? How would I go about doing that? I'm a smart guy, bu this in particular I'll need to be walked through in semi-baby tech steps..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:32 pm 

Actually, just buy the upgrade. DL the ISO image. Burn to CDROM. Boot it and follow the onscreen prompts. Pretty simple really. I have done this for the last 5+ years I have been using the product and there has been very few if any issues.

Post here if you have any issues.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:30 am 

Depending on the RAID card that you have, you may have problems with the >2TB array size. My Adaptec 21610SA could not create an array >2TB, however my 3Ware 9500S-4LP and 9550SX-12 both can.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:18 pm 

ok new problem. We got a download link from SE and downloaded the iso. We then burned the iso and we keep getting a "cannot read kernel" error when booting from CD. What are we doing wrong? Is this a known issue? How do we correct this?

We've burned from 4 different drives, and still keep getting the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:34 pm 

Are you simply burning the one file .ISO to the CDROM or are you using a burning program that uses the ISO image file to create the CD image on the CDROM. If you are simply dragging the image to the cdrom and telling it to burn to the CDROM you will get the issue you describe. I use Nero but there is another program called Imageburn that will do the job.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:48 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Are you simply burning the one file .ISO to the CDROM or are you using a burning program that uses the ISO image file to create the CD image on the CDROM. If you are simply dragging the image to the cdrom and telling it to burn to the CDROM you will get the issue you describe. I use Nero but there is another program called Imageburn that will do the job.

Mike

i'm not sure how to answer this except to say that I'm burning the image to disk. I use IMGburn to burn image files, and I'm pretty sure I know the difference between burning the image, and burning the .iso file to disc.

Should I be burning the .iso file to disk instead? or am I doing it right by burning the image to disk?

If it's the later, then it's not working. After burning, I've checked the disks and each one has three present items. 2 files, and one folder.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:18 am 

Sounds like you are doing it right. Try replacing the ROM drive on the NAS and see if it will work then. Also, you may have to move the drive to a different controller channel to get it to work. I have seen this before.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:21 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Sounds like you are doing it right. Try replacing the ROM drive on the NAS and see if it will work then. Also, you may have to move the drive to a different controller channel to get it to work. I have seen this before.

Mike

Well here's the thing...every computer we've tried to boot to CD with (including a Mac Book Pro) claimed that it could not find/read the kernel.

I think something is wrong with the .iso release posted because it shouldn't be this hard at all to upgrade a NAS OS...especially when a previous version is running on 2 servers already.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:46 pm 

as you say it should work - have you tried downloading the image again - maybe it got corrupted in the original download

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:26 pm 

tony a wrote:
as you say it should work - have you tried downloading the image again - maybe it got corrupted in the original download

Yep. We've tried countless times. We're at a huge loss right now as we SERIOUSLY needed to upgrade these storage servers like 5 days ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:34 pm 

Well, I tested the Beta and it worked just fine. I also loaded the newest ISO and built a NAS for a friend recently and it worked just fine. It was booted on three different PCs with no issue.

The next thing to try is to reset the BIOS to factory default and then give it a try. You do know how to do this, correct?

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:23 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Well, I tested the Beta and it worked just fine. I also loaded the newest ISO and built a NAS for a friend recently and it worked just fine. It was booted on three different PCs with no issue.

The next thing to try is to reset the BIOS to factory default and then give it a try. You do know how to do this, correct?

Mike

Will do