NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FreeNas vs NasLite2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:48 am 

Since NasLite is a Linux based server and FreeNas is a BSD/Unix based server, if something were to happen with Freenas as far as loss of access to the drives, you would have to use a live BSD install to hopefully access the drives. BSD is not easy to use and I have had several problems mostly loss of files trying to use the live BSD . Any Linux distro will have no problem accessing the drives in NasLite is something wre to go wrong. Not only this but, Linux is always being improved far faster than BSD and that alone should be the reason to use a Linux based Server. :lol:

Post subject: Re: FreeNas vs NasLite2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am 

Well, according to what I have read the FreeNAS Dev team is moving to a Debian based OS on the next release. This is a mixed bag for the users. On the one hand they will enjoy a far larger base of supported hardware via a larger base of Linux drivers. On the other they will have to live without the very tight and stable core of BSD. Add that to the fact that all of the work they have done will need to be ported to the new OS and you have what will be a rocky road for the Devs of FreeNAS and the user base they support.

Sometimes Free is not so good.

Mike

Post subject: Re: FreeNas vs NasLite2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:59 pm 

So after a bit of reading it looks like FreeNAS is going to be staying with BSD.

Being that it was developed by a single guy for most of it's existence and may get a bit of help now it may be good news for the user base.

I still have an issue with it because it is not as narrowly focused in it's feature set. IE, not an appliance in the sense that it is closed to tinkering. I think that NL is spot on for the intended use. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

Mike