NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:34 pm 

I built a system running Naslite-2 (v 2.06) a long time ago (would not be surprised if it was 2-3 years ago), and the system has been rock solid, running trouble free, no crashes or anything. Unbelievably reliable actually.

Recently, while I was out of town, my wife informed me that we had a power outage, and now the system does not boot. I cannot be sure that the power outage is related, as we do not know when the system stopped working, but it is a good bet that it is related.

I already tried switching the power supply off, without success. I hooked up a display, and learned that the system is getting to the point in the boot process "Checking Resources DONE", and then it says "Detecting Configuration device FAIL" followed by "Shut Down in Progress".

I am booting the system using a Lexar USB thumm drive, and the system has two HDD's -- one is copied to the other each night.

Any advice on how to trouble shoot this, or what could have gone bad, is appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:39 pm 

Well, after posting this message, I did some more checking and found this thread, from someone who ran into the same problem after a power outage.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2879
indicating that good initial things to try include a BIOS/CMOS reset and to disable unneeded devices.

I did both these things and the system seems to be ok now (running file system check). Just thought I'd post what worked for me, for others who may run into the same problem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:41 am 

Glad it worked out for you. NL is very reliable if there are no hardware failures, the weak link is the client.

Mike