NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Setup Signature found
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:41 am 

Howdy working on new NASBox setup and having a problem.

Equipment is a ECS NFORCE4M motherboard with an AMD CPU (Not sure of the specs)
2 GB of RAM (It was what was left in it when my daughter parted ways with it)
Generic Radeon(?) Video Card

3WARE Escalade 9500 SATA RAID Controller
2 WD 1.0TB Drives configured as RAID-1 Mirror
1 WD 2.0TB Drive

Drives are setup and configured in the RAID BIOS just fine.

Download NASLite-2 V2.62 (latest and greatest)
Burned to CD-ROM as Image
Installed CD-ROM drive on to Motherboard

Booted NASLite from CD, went into the INSTALL utility and Installed NASLite to a PNY USB 1.0GB Flash Drive using the standard Installation (Bootable and Storage Partition).

Shutdown

Remove CD-ROM drive.

Boot from USB Drive, NASLite loads the first/splash screen and then I get a <BEEP> and the message:

No Setup Signature found

I looked around the forums and saw 1 other instance of this and the recomendation was turn off USB2. I have tried to turn off just about every other thing in the BIOS that wasn't needed. LPT, Serial, Floppy, etc.

I went into the BIOS and set the USB Device from 2.0 to 1.0/1.1 but still no change.

Suggestions?

Also in researching this, I notice that the NFORCE4M mobo is listed as a 64 suitable for Athlon 64 processors. Should I be using the 64bit NSL? Hummm, not what to think of that, NSL does boot OK.

Other thoughts. Should I just be installing NSL to one of the Hard drives? Either the 1.0TB Mirror or the 2.0TB Standalone? The 1.0TB Mirror is going to contain misc data and pictures to be shared on our home network and the 2.0TB is going to server mainly as an iTunes repository for Music & Video. If I install NSL to one of the HDD's does it co-exsist with the other data on there?

Thanks alot in advance!
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:26 am 

Try running it from the CD-ROM (option "l" (lower-case L)) without a USB stick, and tell us what happens.

Edit: No you don't have to use 64bit. And for now, don't install to HDD ... first let's get the USB working.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 am 

and if you have one try another usb stick - thay are not all the same and some do not seem to work

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:46 pm 

As I'm out of town. I tried to talk my wife thru trying out the booting from CD-ROM but was not sucessful. But I've got a SANDISK CRUZER 2GB FLASH DRIVE I can try out and I'll also try just booking from CD-ROM and see if I can run from there.

I won't be able to try this until Monday afternoon. Will post my results then.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:09 pm 

Well, in defense of my wife, the reason why she could not get it to boot from CD-ROM (Even though I had earlier) was that in desperation I had disable the 2 IDE controllers on the Motherboard. So there was no way she was going to get past that, and I had forgot about it until I got home and couldn't get it to work either until I started looking around.

Anyway, I booted from the CD-ROOM and did the "l"-load and it came up just fine other than it complained with a "FAIL" message on detecting the configuration device and it shutdown. But at least it booted just fine. I then used a 2GB SANDISK CRUZER USB drive and did the "i"-install to that device as Bootable/Storage and it loaded just fine. Rebooted from the USB device and all is well.

Thanks again for the help!

Mark