NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:23 am 

wifey just got new laptop with windows 7 home premium 64 bit have mapped the drives and can access them ok,
but opening folders is very very slow (can be 1 min +) my xp machine is quick as you like anybody any ideas ?

network is set to home private

steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:36 am 

all i can say is similar setup works fine

differences may be - network is set to work - router is wireless 'N' as is wireless network card in laptop

if laptop is as it came and its new then it will be full of all sorts of rubbish from whoever - AV etc - get rid of that lot - a format and new install always helps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:08 am 

Should naslite be connected somewhere between the gateway and laptop ?

Can somebody please advise if so as i cannot see how to do it ?

also when looking at the status page on naslite i cannot see the laptop connected

AV sees naslite on network map and is set as a nas device in the trusted zone

thanks
steve

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 46.68 KiB | Viewed 31101 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:30 am 

your network map looks the same as mine - naslite shows as yours

not sure where you are looking to see the laptop connected on the status page - but looking at all the pages i cannot see mine either

i am not aware i set anything to acceess naslite from 7 - as far as i remember it just works

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 am 

This is the status page that i was on about

Surely windows 7 has to know where to put naslite,
As the bottom of the screen says " the followwing discovered device(s) cannot be placed in the map

Steve

Attachments:
Status page.JPG
Status page.JPG [ 215.65 KiB | Viewed 31087 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 am 

Are you sure that you have unlocked the NL box?

I do not see SMB enabled.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:19 am 

dont know if this will work -

1st is my network map - 2 laptops on map but naslite is not

2nd is status page - addy is my laptop [tony on map]

what it means i am not sure - but just shows a win7 system

Attachment:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 54.49 KiB | Viewed 31082 times ]

Attachment:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 90.11 KiB | Viewed 31082 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 am 

What I am getting at here is that the only client is 192.168.1.2 and it is an HTTP client. There is no connection of an SMB client to the share. SMB is the default networking protocol of Winblows and will be much faster then HTTP. You need to get this sorted out first.

Second, your internet gateway, Tony, is it a Gigabit switch of just 100TX? This could also be the cause of slow transfer rates. A much more detailed description, lay of the land as it were, is required for us to make more informed recommendations.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 am 

In answer to mikes question - yes Naslite is unlocked

Just noticed that i have alot of errors on my nasbox could this be the problem ?

ATA: Abnormal status 0x58 on port 0xf007
ata 1: command 0x38 timeout,stat0x58 host_stat0x61

these two errors fill the page, is this the problem ? can anybody advise if it's a drive failure which one it is
as there are 5 in that machine

thanks

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 am 

mike - mine is fine - it is a gigabit system - have just changed the router and switch - as for speed on mine that had the desired effect - all numbers multiplied by 10 when i added the gigabit stuff

my screengrabs are really for information only - i am hearing what you say about SMB - if its not there its not there - are you saying option 5 in the service config screen - if so its set to RW - or am i missing something

but as i said as far as i am aware i dont have a problem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:11 pm 

Just noticed that i could not log into naslite through telnet service or direct
(my pc shares keyboard,mouse and monitor via a KVM switch)
had to press reset switch on front :(

When logged in i noticed in the services menu disk 3 as:

* - Disk 3

I couldn't select it, how do i carry out disk checks ?

P.S. Both are on gig networks

steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:41 pm 

I think there's a firewall or domain/workgroup issue in your case that prevents proper display of the network map. But even with strict firewall settings ... you should be able to access the NL server, as am I thru a mapped network drive. I am using Win7Pro64bit. And Commodo Internet Security. And (since I am somewhat paranoid) I don't allow a bunch of stuff in Windows (like sharing, disocvery, and what-all-else garbage (unsafe) settings). The proof of that is shown in the attachments. The second JPG was displayed after I clicked on "See full map".

Nevertheless I have no trouble accessing NL :D
And, yes, this Win7's internal IP shows in NL Network Status page. (What is your update interval, and are you actually accessing (mapped drive, copying files, etc) before the last update of the Network Status page?)

Attachments:
File comment: Win7Pro64bit
Win7NetworkMap.jpg
Win7NetworkMap.jpg [ 138.17 KiB | Viewed 31072 times ]
File comment: Win7Pro64bit FULL map
Win7FullNetworkMap.jpg
Win7FullNetworkMap.jpg [ 63.94 KiB | Viewed 31072 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:17 pm 

I just replaced two older XP computers with 2 new Windows 7 Premium computers. I've had our Naslite-2 box in the back room for years, works great, never has needed attention. I had a minor issue setting up Windows 7 network stuff, with the Naslite box, thought I would refresh other's memory also.

Win 7 by default uses a networking shortcut called Homegroup, which is fine for what it is. My two new Win 7 boxes saw each other, could share, originally saw no issues. However, when I took the 2 old XP boxes off the network, and did a refresh, I could no longer "see" the Naslite box in the network list. Mind you, I could map a network drive from the win 7 box to the naslite drives, and those worked fine.

It took me awhile to remember a very simple thing; even though I let windows 7 use the homegroup to set up the network, I still have to ensure that the network work group name is the same for the Win 7 boxes AND the naslite box. (If you have always left this as the default name "workgroup", you won't have a problem.)

So, click on COMPUTER, then SYSTEM PROPERTIES, then CHANGE SETTINGS, then CHANGE, and then change the workgroup name. All computers must have the same workgroup name (yes, I know that is painfully obvious, but it had been at least 2-3 years since I had set up the naslite box and the network.) So, check the workgroup name on your naslite box, and make sure it matches what is on your windows 7 (or xp) boxes.

Steve's screenshot below where he notes that the IP address belongs to his desktop PC, and not his notebook, triggered it for me. Steve was connecting to his naslite box from his notebook THRU his desktop (hence very slow). I bet Steve's workgroup name is not the same on all his computers.

Note, this doesn't impact windows 7 Homegroup, that continues to work fine for sharing files and printers.

I'm sure all of this is a non-issue for most of you, but if you have recently added windows 7 computers to your network, this may serve as a reminder.

mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:39 pm 

The network stack in Windows7 is fast but a bit confused in that they try and do allot of it for the general user. The main issue is that they enable allot of crap that is not needed to simply map drives. Who the hell uses IPv6? I mean it's nice to have it but it serves no purpose for the general home user right now. Turn it off.

Make sure that your DHCP server is properly configured and that the Windows7 machine is set as such. As Mike points out, be sure that all the machines on the network are using the same "workgroup" name or issues will likely be the result. For some reason they changed the name from "workgroup" to some other, likely to just f#@k with the end user! :x

Welcome to the forums mike and thanks for the tip on Windows7, as more people are forced to migrate to it there are likely going to be issues. I have a love/hate with all the Microsoft OS's and 7 is no different.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:42 am 

Steve wrote:
Should naslite be connected somewhere between the gateway and laptop ?

Can somebody please advise if so as i cannot see how to do it ?

also when looking at the status page on naslite i cannot see the laptop connected

AV sees naslite on network map and is set as a nas device in the trusted zone

thanks
steve

Steve

Unfortunately Winblows will never be able to place the current versions (or older not sure about future versions though maybe Ralph or Tony can comment) of Naslite on the network map due to them not running the correct MS type system for Network identification. It will make absolutley no difference to the operation of your system. After all from your network map it is there just that windows cant place it in the map correctly (as a side note Win7 couldnt even place my Windows Home Server correctly due to the same issues Blame MS)

Hope this helps just a little. Doug