NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:09 pm 

I apologize for creating a new topic, but I can't find sufficient information about this.

I have installed NASlite 2 on a PC.

I have a Windows 2000 server that is storing a large number of files, mainly accessed via AFP (AppleTalk Filing Protocol) from Mac clients, some of the files are old style fonts with Resource Forks so preserving the "Mac"-ness of the files is important.

I want SOMETHING to run on the Windows 2000 Server to synchronize a specific directory and all sub directories, files etc with the NASlite server.

It appears that DeltaCopy should do the trick, but I am simply not getting anywhere. Is there someone that would be willing to take me by the virtual hand and help me accomplish this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:56 am 

If everything is part of your network, you must be able to drag & drop the folder(s) to NL2. If this is not the case, you also could take the drive(s) from the Win2000 server and add them to the NL2 box, and resync the drive(s).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:56 am 

PieterB wrote:
If everything is part of your network, you must be able to drag & drop the folder(s) to NL2. If this is not the case, you also could take the drive(s) from the Win2000 server and add them to the NL2 box, and resync the drive(s).

The first part is right but the second.... NL only does EXT file partitions, NO NTFS. Windows server may have a backup utility built in that you can use to back up the drive or just selected partitions. Not sure, been a long time since I have layed hands on a win2000 machine.

Make sure that the drive on the NL server is mapped in windows, this may be your issue if it's not.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Make sure that the drive on the NL server is mapped in windows, this may be your issue if it's not.

All I did was type "deltacopy mapped drive" into google; I did not actually dig into it, but you might want to. I seem to remember that some older Windows version can't do EVERYthing with mapped drives ... don't remember why/what the limitations are.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:04 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
The first part is right but the second.... NL only does EXT file partitions, NO NTFS. Windows server may have a backup utility built in that you can use to back up the drive or just selected partitions.

You're darn right.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:14 pm 

georg wrote:
mikeiver1 wrote:

All I did was type "deltacopy mapped drive" into google; I did not actually dig into it, but you might want to. I seem to remember that some older Windows version can't do EVERYthing with mapped drives ... don't remember why/what the limitations are.

Nor do I but it is a starting point. Mapped drives are pretty functional for most tasks except when trying to run software that requires a physical disk in a drive. I don't know is what I am saying.

Mike