NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:39 pm 

Time Server
The "Network Time Server" option isn't documented in the user manual PDF. I've entered an IP for an NTP server, and can ping it from the NASLite2 server, but the status page is showing that it hasn't yet contacted that server ("Last Successful Synchronization: Unknown"). When does the NASLite2 server attempt synchronization? (Particular time/day/etc.?)

CIFS
My router uses Tomato firmware, which offers some logging features via CIFS for Internet bandwidth use tracking, etc. The CIFS connection requires a non-blank (1 alphanumeric character or more) username and password. There's also a field for "domain," but it's not mandatory. Is there a "generic" user/pass that NASLite2 supports to enable a connection via CIFS? I've tried using the admin user/pass, but had no luck in mounting the server on Tomato through CIFS. Connections as shares to Windows PCs in the workgroup work fine, so it appears to be a login issue through CIFS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm 

matinlowery wrote:
Time Server
The "Network Time Server" option isn't documented in the user manual PDF. I've entered an IP for an NTP server, and can ping it from the NASLite2 server, but the status page is showing that it hasn't yet contacted that server ("Last Successful Synchronization: Unknown"). When does the NASLite2 server attempt synchronization? (Particular time/day/etc.?)

CIFS
My router uses Tomato firmware, which offers some logging features via CIFS for Internet bandwidth use tracking, etc. The CIFS connection requires a non-blank (1 alphanumeric character or more) username and password. There's also a field for "domain," but it's not mandatory. Is there a "generic" user/pass that NASLite2 supports to enable a connection via CIFS? I've tried using the admin user/pass, but had no luck in mounting the server on Tomato through CIFS. Connections as shares to Windows PCs in the workgroup work fine, so it appears to be a login issue through CIFS.

I had a similiar problem when I first started with this but I resolved the issue by using one of the ones specified in the NTP Setup screen ie

CHANGE TIME SERVER

Current NASLite-M2 x64 Time Server IP Address is [ 132.163.4.103 ].

The NASLite-M2 x64 system clock can be automatically synchronized using a
remote Time Server. The new IP address must point to a valid RFC 868 time
server. If the provided Time Server IP is outside of the local network scope,
then a valid gateway must be defined. Below is a list of servers made
available by the NIST Internet Time Service:

129.6.15.28, 129.6.15.29 .................... NIST, Gaithersburg, Maryland
132.163.4.101, 132.163.4.102, 132.163.4.103 . NIST, Boulder, Colorado
206.246.118.250, 208.184.49.9, 64.125.78.85 . WiTime VA, NY and CA
64.236.96.53, 69.25.96.13, 207.200.81.113 ... Symmetricom VA and CA

An IP of 0.0.0.0 will disable synchronization.

Example: > 129.6.15.28

I used on of the Boulder Coloado ones and that did the trick

It may be worth a try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm 

This may be a funny question but, why?

Windows and Mac OS both have time servers that they go out to on their own.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:22 pm 

For Time Server, I initially used one of the suggested timeserver IPs from pool.ntp.org (74.88.39.232). I just changed to one of the NASLite suggested ones (129.6.15.28). It shows as updated in the Telnet session, but not in the HTML status screen (even after refresh). I'm just wondering when the NASLite system checks in, as it hasn't yet. Does it need to be rebooted to recognize the change? (EDIT: rebooted; still hasn't checked the timeserver.) Regardless, I'm wondering when and how often the system checks in with the NTP server.

As to why (regarding NTP timestamps), while my Win systems are up to date and sync plenty fine on their own, I'd like the NASLite server timestamps to be in sync so that my backups and other processes work as intended. If the NASLite server NTP update doesn't work, then I'd like to know so I don't rely on it and can manually check and update it periodically. If it works, but only on Sunday at 3:00 am, I'd like to know that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

NASLite-2 uses rdate as opposed to NTP. The benefits of rdate are mainly compact size and very low resource usage. It uses port 37 (opposed to 123 for NTP), so make sure your firewall is not blocking it.

NASLite will sync the clock at boot as well as every day at 00 o'clock.

For further info on rdate, one can refer to the following: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc868.html
In contrast, take a look at the rfc governing NTP: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1305.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 am 

I have opened port 37 and I still can't get the time server to sync. In the Network Configuration Menu I don't define a gateway. Is this required before the time server will sync?

Thank you,
John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:17 am 

jgkurz wrote:
In the Network Configuration Menu I don't define a gateway. Is this required before the time server will sync?

Thank you,
John

Yes you do

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:25 am 

jgkurrz wrote:
I have read everything about Phallosan Forte Plus here and opened port 37 and I still can't get the time server to sync. In the Network Configuration Menu I don't define a gateway. Is this required before the time server will sync?

Thank you,
John

What do you mean? How can one use a remote time server ? What exactly does it mean using a remote time server?

Last edited by JulianneCrass on Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:25 am, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:37 am 

JulianneCrass wrote:
What do you mean? How can one use a remote time server ? What exactly does it mean using a remote time server?

Well, it only means that NL will check the exact time via the remote timse server (very accurate) and set the computer clock to this exact time. This will be done at boot and once à day at 00h GMT.

Regards.