NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 7 NFS Mount?????
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:58 pm 

Hi All,
I have a Windows 7 Enterprise system that I have enabled "Services for NFS". I cannot seem to get my NASLite-2 v2.62 share to mount. It will connect through the typical SMB/CIFS method but not NFS. I have made sure NFS is enabled in NASLite-2.

I have tried all the below syntax but always get error 53 "Path not found"

mount \\192.168.0.108\Disk-1 K:
mount \\192.168.0.108\Export\Disk-1 K:

Has anyone got Windows 7 to mount an NFS share?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:58 am 

Silly question but did you REBOOT NL after you activated NFS in NL ? Sometimes, we just forget to do simple things first ;)

RR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm 

robrub wrote:
Silly question but did you REBOOT NL after you activated NFS in NL ? Sometimes, we just forget to do simple things first ;)

RR

You bet! I reboot everytime I make a change to the services... Just habit I guess.

I did find this in the Windows 7 log:

Message: Windows(R) Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) failed a request to connect to Active Directory Domain Services(R) for Windows user <xxx\xxxxxxx>. Without the corresponding UNIX identity of the Windows user, the user cannot access Network File System (NFS) shared resources. Verify that the Windows user is in Active Directory Domain Services and has access permissions.

I don't have AD running so using "mount -o anon \\192.168.0.101\export\Disk-1" should work from the Win7 command line. I have confirmed the Client for NFS services is running.

The command "showmount -e 192.168.0.101" results in the below output so I know the mounts are available. -o anon is the anonymous user login. Strangley
I can mount both shares from another linux server with no problem.

C:\Users\xxx xxxxxxx>showmount -e 192.168.0.101
Exports list on 192.168.0.101:
/export/Disk-1 *
/export/Disk-2 *
/export/Status *

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

I've been looking into this, apparently there are alot of other people having issues with Windows 7 mounting NFS volumes as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:06 pm 

Ralph wrote:
I've been looking into this, apparently there are alot of other people having issues with Windows 7 mounting NFS volumes as well.

I have access to a Windows 7 system at work and tested an NFS mount on a NetApp filer. It worked fine and could read and write without issue. I will see if I can determine why NetApp works and NASLite does not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

It's not NASLite, it's how Windows 7 handles anonymous logins, or it's looking for a non standard port.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:20 pm 

Network Appliance is a top tier filler supplier with scary R&D money behind them. NL on the other hand is a couple of guys with modest backing doing the best they can with open source. The two are NOT in parity in most any way you could look at it other than that they are both fillers. The commonality ends there though.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:50 pm 

The only reason I brought up NetApp was because it was the only other NFS mount I had available to test against. I'm well aware of who NetApp is. I make a living selling their product. I really wasn't trying to start a debate on who's NAS is better... I own and heavily use my NASLite NAS. That should say a lot. I just want to figure out how to connect Windows 7 to NASLite via NFS. I have used the "-o anon" switch in Windows 7 which supposedly allows for an anonymous mount but I still get the error 53. I will look into the port suggestion Ralph offered.

In the mean time, if anyone has Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate and would like to test NFS on NASLite, I would be grateful for the results.

Last edited by jgkurz on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

If you google this, you'll see widespread problems with Windows 7 mounting linux NFS shares, and not just NASLite.

I'd really like to see this work myself, research continues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:21 pm 

jgkurz wrote:
The only reason I brought up NetApp was because it was the only other NFS mount I had available to test against. I'm well aware of who NetApp is. I make a living selling their product. I really wasn't trying to start a debate on who's NAS is better... I own and heavily use my NASLite NAS. That should say a lot. I just want to figure out how to connect Windows 7 to NASLite via NFS. I have used the "-o anon" switch in Windows 7 which supposedly allows for an anonymous mount but I still get the error 53. I will look into the port suggestion Ralph offered.

In the mean time, if anyone has Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate and would like to test NFS on NASLite, I would be grateful for the results.

Those in the know know that the NASLite products do not compare to a NetApp filer. My comment was simply based on the chance that this was going down the apples compared to broccoli path.

My media PC is running a fresh load of Windows7 pro, I'll give it a go and see where I end up.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:31 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Those in the know know that the NASLite products do not compare to a NetApp filer. My comment was simply based on the chance that this was going down the apples compared to broccoli path.

My media PC is running a fresh load of Windows7 pro, I'll give it a go and see where I end up.

Mike

NFS Client for Windows 7 supposedly only works with Ultimate and Enterprise versions. You may be out of luck with the Pro version.

Thanks much for the offer!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 pm 

jgkurz wrote:
mikeiver1 wrote:

Mike

NFS Client for Windows 7 supposedly only works with Ultimate and Enterprise versions. You may be out of luck with the Pro version.

Thanks much for the offer!

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/Services/Client_for_NFS.htm

Saw this, guess there is a reason, other than extra jibber jabber, to go with Ultimate rather than pro.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 pm 

A total shot in the dark: Instead of "-o anon" option, try a user name of "anonymous" and a password of "password".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

I find it funny how Windows will connect to any anonymous SMB share no problem, but has issues with others

I also find it funny, how OS X will connect to anonymous AFP shares no problem, but has issues with with anonymous SMB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 pm 

LOL

Mike