NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 pm 

having now managed to set a system up so i can access it over the internet - in no small part due to the help i got in here

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3205

from PieterB and Ralph - i now would like to take it a stage further and be able to wake up the system over the internet using WOL

the computer will wake up locally over my network so thats a start hopefully

i have looked at various programs that say they will do what i want but have had no success

they seem to want 4 pieces of info

1. the MAC address of the server i want to wake up - thats easy enough

2. the subnet mask id - thats problem number 1 - is it the id from the naslite server [255.255.255.0] or the one from my router [255.255.248.0] or something else

3. my ip address - that is easy enough [i think]

4. a port number - i have port 80 open for remote access - some say use that - others say use another

i have tried all combinations with various programs and cannot seem to get it to work - easiest is this http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx - which does it for you and is excellent as it can be run from anywhere - if it worked for me that is :|

as with the help in setting up the remote access - am i missing the [not so] obvious

subnote

reading on the netgear forums i am concluding that this may be a problem with my router and possibly most 'domestic' routers -if thats the case does any of the hardware experts know of routers that will do this - as cheap as possible please :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:21 pm 

Until I was forced to use Verizon wireless for my internet I used a spare PC loaded with Smoothwall. This is a full featured firewall, router, VPN, and a whole slew of other things and was great!

I would look into this since it provides just about everything one could want in a router. In fact when I move and have real internet I will be using Smoothwall again. The forums are also great and the posters that are very helpful.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 am 

thanks mike - have heard good things about that before - but it would defeat one of my other objectives which is not to run systems 24/7 but on demand - energy costs in the uk are a joke so 24/7 is not a good option

hence my original question

i have found a firmware hack for my router that is said to add the function - but reading the help site leaves me with the feeling that it is just as likely to 'brick' the router :cry: