NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:34 pm 

What happened and how it was solved:

NL CORE3 was freshly installed on a previously used IDE Transcend module (very handy & cheap if your motherboard still has an IDE 40 pins connector). Before NL 2.06 was installed on that module.

I assumed that by installing anew, the installer would format the drive. Not true. So, somehow there were elements of the old install still in tact, and spoiling the fun. That was the reason that port 80 wasn't working. Ralph and/or Tony probably know now what went wrong.

So after I deleted the partition and formatted the drive (Parted Magic LiveCD) and installed CORE3, again from scratch, everything worked like it should.

Problem solved, days wasted.

PieterB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad things are worked out and in order Pieter, however, in response to your latest post, I'd like to say a few things that may clear the smoke you have left.

When installing on a partition, the installer starts by freshly partitioning the drive. In the case of CORE3, the partition size is larger than previous versions, so any artifacts left over from a previous install will simply be bit noise. That said, next step is to freshly format the newly created partition, followed by making it bootable, installing syslinux, binaries, etc. Further, each step is verified and the process will not move to the next stage unless the previous step is complete and the results verified.

Point here is that you are making assumptions without facts. Port 80 has absolutely no dependencies in the config, install, or any other items that you are trying to attribute to it. It is the default HTTP port and it will either work or not work. In your case it appeared to work fine, but your router was blocking it from the outside. Note the duplicate port-80 definitions in your firewall. Do you know what mechanism the enable/disable toggle uses?

I don't mind theories about this and that, but unless you have your facts in order, please refrain from pointing a finger.

That said, if anyone is experiencing the same problems, please speak up so we can compare notes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 am 
Site Admin

I'd also like to point out a few things regarding "leftovers"

The NASLite v2.6 kernel, naslite.01 will not work with previous versions initrd, naslite.02 and vice versa, it's simply impossible. And the configuration data is impossible to be read between versions as well. v2.6 was a complete rewrite and has no backward compatibility with previous versions.

So this, along with the information from Tony's post, anything leftover, and interfering is absolutely impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:46 am 

I am truly sorry. I messed around with the 3 NL servers so much that I lost track of doings.

What really happened: I made a NL box for my garage. I used the module I had -with CORE3 installed- in my 6 Samsung/9690SA-8I (NASLite-12). I bought a new CORE3, intended for NASLite-12. Then I decided that it would be a proper thing to do, to put the new module, with the new CORE3, in the garage NL box. So I took out the old module, and put it back in NL-12, unlocked CORE3 anew. From there the trouble started.

The box responded to HTTP requests when I used 192.168.1.112, but did not show its beautifully designed HTML page when requesting through the router wit XX.XX.XXX.XXX:80. Several completely new install did not solve the problem. The problem was solved when I deleted the CORE3 partition with Parted Magic, leaving no trace of previous installs, and installed CORE3 freshly.

Please, do not assume that the router had anything to do with it: the router settings did not change at all. The port enabling process is through restarting the router. I can change the routing of port 80 as much as I want, without causing any trouble. That leaves only the install of the software to have been causing this odd behavior.

Again, I apologize for any unnecessary dust and mist I might have been creating. On the other hand, the raison d'être of this forum is to help nitwits and clarify unexpected behavior.

Have a nice and relaxed Sunday.
PieterB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Not a problem. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:54 am 

can i just keep this going a while - am trying to do what Pieter did and cannot get it to work - its not a naslite issue i am sure - but a router issue

server is on 192.xxx.x.xx - on my router i can open a port [netgear WNR834B] - so have port forwarded port 80 to the ip of my naslite box - then got someone to try to log in from outside to HTTP://xx.xx.xx.xx [my ip address]

nothing happens

am i missing something or can this only be done with certain routers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Make sure a gateway is set. Router should be the gateway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:12 pm 

hi ralph - humour me and explain that a bit - i can do what is required but have to understand what you mean - what am i looking for to achieve that

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:13 pm 

Ralph wrote:
Make sure a gateway is set. Router should be the gateway

Attachment:
File comment: Gateway Settings
Gateway.jpg
Gateway.jpg [ 270.41 KiB | Viewed 21521 times ]

That is a very smart observation, and forgotten easily. Option 3 in the Network Configuration
Type Telnet 192.168.1.X in a command prompt window

Attachment:
File comment: Option 3
Gateway_Administration.jpg
Gateway_Administration.jpg [ 125.99 KiB | Viewed 21521 times ]

HTH
PieterB

Last edited by PieterB on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
3 - Change Gateway

Under network configuration

Quote:
That is a very smart observation, and forgotten easily.

Basic networking 101, if you can see it internally and not externally, than NL doesn't know how to get out of the local network.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:25 pm 

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - i see - well i think i do - at the moment its set to 0:0:0:0 so should it be the gateway ip addy from my router settings - or what

you have to keep it simple for me :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 pm 

getting there i think - yes your screen grabs helped pieter - if you have my mail there with my ip addy - can you see the server

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:56 pm 

Done.

Attachment:
File comment: This is YOUR status screen, Tony
Tony_A.jpg
Tony_A.jpg [ 271.86 KiB | Viewed 21500 times ]

You need to set your time server....

PieterB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:59 pm 

thanks pieter and ralph - easy when you know how - was looking in the wrong place altogether - well pleased

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:09 pm 

You're welcome.

be cautious: if you leave port 80 open, anyone scanning IP's & ports can get to your NAS.

PieterB