NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:20 am 

I have a Fujitsu Siemens PC which is housing a 1TB IDE Promise Raid setup.

I want to transfer this to my Fujitsu TX200 server, and then also use an Adaptec uSCSI RAID array.

I realise I will have to unlock the NASLite software due to the new hardware but (paranoia moment) will all my files still be accessible once unlocked? I want to increase the size of the IDE RAID setup by at least as much again (using the spare channels on the Promise card) - prsumably this would just come up as Disk-1 if I create a new array?

Finally, if I add in the Adaptec array, this will come up as Disk-2?

Sorry if all this is obvious - I would probaly lose a limb or two if I manage to lose all of the music and video library my partner has been patiently building!

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:09 pm 

Pete:

The mere unlocking of NL license on new hardware does nothing "bad" to the data on the disks (unless you are making a new installation to a HDD).

But I can not answer your questions about data safety regarding moving or expanding arrays -- I (still) don't use RAID -- mikeiver1 would be more qualified to answer this ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:11 pm 

George is right for the first answer.

As to your second part, the expansion of the RAID array on the Promise controller, you will have a number of issues to overcome. The first is, does the controller allow on the fly expansion of the array. You fail to provide and info on the card or the array configuration. The second problem you are going to have to deal with is that after you expand the array, you will need to then expand the partition to allow for the use of the arrays extra leg room. You will have to use a live Linux disk and some partition manipulation tool to effect this. This can be risky in that one mistake and you could loos all your data on that array. One thing to keep in mind in moving the array to another box is to make damned sure you mark the drives for exact position in the array and in relation to the controller. This may or may not be an issue depending on the controller and how/where the array configuration data is stored but better safe than sorry.

I will say this BACK THE F#@K UP! Bad things happen with arrays and they are exponentially harder to fix.

The third question about the second array addition, it may or may not be drive-2. This depends on where it is in the hardware initialization order on your machine.

Mike