NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Rsync
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 pm 

I've read through the posts about rsync, but I have a unique situation.

My tape drive broke on my netware server, and would like to try using rsync to back up to my naslite box. Thought it'd be easier than it is, but so far nothing has worked right. I have a KB from novell's site talking about copying from one netware server to another, but I need some help on the NASLite side. since it's the destination, I assume I need to build a directory structure and config to allow the netware server to connect. After that, I need to find out what command line to type at the netware console to start the copy. Here's the sample from the KB:

Code:
echo RSync Start File
#Example 1 sync the source server's autoexec.ncf
#/system/autoexec.ncf is the source server's file being RSync'd
#/sys/system is so on the destination server the same directory structure is maintained
sys:RSync/RSync -arz -v /system/autoexec.ncf naslite::nw5/sys/system/ --volume=sys: --port=873
--progress
#--volume is the source server's volume

so far, I just get a failed attempt, as I don't think the info is correct on the NASLIte side.

Any help?

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/appnote/654.html

Post subject: Re: Help with Rsync
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm 

I think your mistake is that you start from the Novell side. You should start from the NASLite side. There you can specify your URL/IP to Rsync to / Mirror from.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:36 am 

PieterB wrote:
I think your mistake is that you start from the Novell side. You should start from the NASLite side. There you can specify your URL/IP to Rsync to / Mirror from.

Well, when I put in 10.90.10.1/anything on the NASlite side, it tells me that the second parameter is incorrect. I've tried the actual volume name, server name, Disk-0, etc. There's no daemon running on the netware side when I do this, so I don't know if the NASlite side is checking for server names or open ports before giving me the error.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 pm 

ok, part of the problem was case. I put 10.90.10.1/Disk-0/00 and it took it. now I need to chase down the Netware side and verify I've got everything correct there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:10 pm 

Nota Bene:

This: 10.90.10.1/Disk-0/00 should be the IP address of your source disk, i.e. your Netware drive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:21 pm 

10.90.10.1 is the IP of the netware box, 10.90.10.11 is the ip of the NASLite box. Anything other than Disk-0 in the second part of the string is rejected.

I'm getting further, I can see the exported rsync volumes from the netware server, now it appears the error I get is more related the the netware side. but I did notice this morning the Netware server thinks the share is RO, even though all services on the box are marked RW (I double checked).

(I changed the file I was playing with, because if I blew up the other file, I'd be SOL).

Code:
rsync -arz -v /rsync/rsync.conf naslite::Disk-0/sys/system/ --volume=sys: --port=873 --log-file=sys:\rsync\rsync.log --progress
    building file list ...
1 file to consider
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(525)

from the log file:
Quote:
2009/12/11 11:44:53 [1] 0 files...
2009/12/11 11:44:53 [1] 1 file to consider
2009/12/11 11:44:53 [1] read_timeout: Error(9): 10053 with call WSAEventSelect()
2009/12/11 11:44:53 [1] rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(525)

Code:
NW5:rsync -v naslite::
Loading module RSYNC.NLM
  Rsync 2.6.3
  Version 2.63    September 20, 2005
  Copyright (C) 1996-2001 by Andrew Tridgell.  Copyright (C) Paul Mackerras 199
.  Copyright (C) 2001, 2002 by Martin Pool <mbp@samba.org>.  Modifications for
ovell (R) Netware (R) Copyright (C) 2002 Lee Wiltbank
    Shares              All Shares (Read Only)
Disk-0          Share Disk-0 (Read Only)
Status          Share Status (Read Only)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:47 pm 

Netware, though mature and stable, is an OLD OS with little support out there amongst the base of general tech support types. That said I would be looking at the permissions for the netware shares. I think that are versions of netware that speak SMB, maybe that is the better way to go.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:07 am 

az_max wrote:
I did notice this morning the Netware server thinks the share is RO, even though all services on the box are marked RW (I double checked).

Silly question but you DID reboot NL after you changed the drives on the NL server to RW didn't you? Sometimes, we don't see an easy error and search for complicated solutions...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:49 am 

A wile ago I got Rsync or mirror to work to from the NASlite.

I posted about it in this Server Elements Forum here.

It's near the end of the post were I found out good how.

That my help you.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 pm 

robrub wrote:
az_max wrote:
I did notice this morning the Netware server thinks the share is RO, even though all services on the box are marked RW (I double checked).

Silly question but you DID reboot NL after you changed the drives on the NL server to RW didn't you? Sometimes, we don't see an easy error and search for complicated solutions...

Thank you Rob, that solved the RO problem. I have a backup scheduled now, I'll see how it goes. (btw, the --progress flag on netware fills up the console log!)

I also recommend DeltaCopy for windows. I used it to make a quick copy of the important files from the netware system via rsync before I checked back in here.

Here's the command that works: (at least starts the backup, we'll see if it finishes without errors in the morning)
Code:
rsync -arzv / naslite::Disk-0/sys --volume=sys: --port=873  --log-file=sys:\rsync\rsync.log

:D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:17 pm 

az_max wrote:
Here's the command that works: (at least starts the backup, we'll see if it finishes without errors in the morning)
Code:
rsync -arzv / naslite::Disk-0/sys --volume=sys: --port=873  --log-file=sys:\rsync\rsync.log

:D

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I filled the console log several times over :). It got to the end with minimal errors, mostly files in use (console.log, apache logs, stuff like that). I thought there was a problem, because I didn't see the files on the NASLite side. I created a Disk-0 folder thinking this was the part after the colons where the files were created. But, it created a Sys folder under the actual disk named Disk-0. There I found all my files. One thing I found, if I'm doing a recursive copy of a single folder, I need to put the folder name after the colons too. Otherwise the files and folders under it get created at the folder level I've called 'sys'.

On a side note for others: there's a switch called --volume: on the Netware rsync.nlm. This specifies the netware volume, as the mount points are not under root like linux and there are no drive letters. (well, there are, but they refer to the boot loader partition, which is accessible via some advanced netware commands). So there's the Sys volume, which every netware server will have, and whatever you call your additional data volumes (Vol2 in my case).

Thanks to all for your help.
:mrgreen: