NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: upgrading to v2.6
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:04 pm 

i run one of my systems of a cf card in a ide/cf adaptor - this currently has a 32meg card in it - i tried to upgrade to 2.6 by installing onto this card and it reports it cannot install - i have a 1gig card that i use in a camera so tried that and it installed fine

i tried to remove the install off the 32meg card but all i seem to be able to do is remove the config files - what am i doing wrong?

what is the minimum size of cf card for the new software - am hoping to use a 16meg DOM - had tried that on the old software and it was ok - will it still be big enough

Post subject: Re: upgrading to v2.6
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Read the release notes, v2.6 requires a new install, you can't upgrade an existing install.

Post subject: Re: upgrading to v2.6
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:59 pm 

hi Ralph - i understand that - but surely i can use the same CF card - thats what i am trying to do by deleting [or trying to] whats on the card now and starting again - but everytime i try to write to the card it says it cannot

to be more specific

i have a 32meg cf card that had an old install on it - i have deleted that install in ubuntu and formatted the card - i then run the new software which finds the card ok and asks me if i want to install - i am then preseneded with 2 install options - whichever i choose i get the message

[FAIL] unable to create partition

so is there something left from the old install or am i doing something stupid - as far as i can see the card is fine - it was before i started

EDIT

have sorted it - not that i understand why - but i have always installed the old software via a cf/usb adaptor - that will now not work with v2.6 - it gives the error above - but plug the card into a cf/ide adaptor and it installs - maybe theres a good reason - would be interested to know